Peter is a specialist in intellectual property, sports and commercial disputes.
Peter advises on all forms of intellectual property disputes, including trade mark, designs, copyright, patents, database rights and trade secrets. Peter combines this with his expertise in licensing, contractual and tortious disputes, enabling him to advise on a wide variety of claims, assessing all possible angles.
Peter is ranked in World Trademark Review 1000, being described as having "a deep understanding and a talent for making the right call".
As head of the Firm's Sports disputes practice, Peter advises sports clubs, regulatory bodies, athletes and intermediaries on all forms of dispute resolution, including regulatory, commercial and licensing issues. Recent experience includes acting on a claim by a Premier League Club against its former kit sponsor, the termination of a shirt sponsorship deal with another Premier League club, a dispute between a leading darts player and his former sponsor, regulatory investigations by the FA, and a trade mark claim against a Formula One team. Peter also advises betting companies on the protection and exploitation of rights in sports data.
Peter is a recognised expert on cross-border Customs detentions and enforcement, and has significant experience of Mishcon de Reya's award-winning Turning Losses Into Profits (TULIP®) programme, which has recovered over £300mn for its clients from counterfeiting operations.
Peter gained significant commercial experience during secondments at Cable & Wireless and the Forensic Science Service.
- Representing a Formula 1 racing team in various commercial and IP disputes
- Advising Tottenham Hotspur on licensing matters and the protection and enforcement of the club's intellectual property rights
- Acting for GVC Group on various disputes relating to rights in sporting data
- Advising three luxury German car marques on the enforcement of their intellectual property rights, in particular in relation to alloy wheels and counterfeit goods
- Acting for Pfizer on its anti-counterfeiting strategy, including obtaining and executing search orders and freezing orders against suppliers of counterfeit medicines
- Acting for a number of fashion brands including Christian Louboutin, Prada, Abercrombie & Fitch, Charlotte Olympia and Jack Wills on the protection and enforcement of their trade mark and design right portfolios
- Protecting the intellectual property rights of various music artists in the UK, including Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Kanye West
- Racing Partnership Ltd and others v Done Brothers (Cash Betting) Ltd and others
- Marussia v Manor Grand Prix Racing
- Jack Wills Ltd v House of Fraser (Stores) Ltd
- BMW v Round and Metal Ltd
- Ate My Heart Inc v (1) Mind Candy Ltd (2) Moshi Music Limited
- MMI Research v CellXion Limited & Others
- Global Coal Limited v London Commodity Brokers Limited
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Assistant, Mishcon de Reya
University of Bristol, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice
Assistant, Charles Russell LLP
Qualified, Charles Russell LLP
Kings College London, History (First Class Hons)
Articles and Publications
- "Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights Through Border Measures" – UK Chapter (Oxford University Press)
- "Anti-Counterfeiting" – UK Chapter (World Trademark Review)
- "Cracking the Code: Copyright Law and its Elusive Grail" European Intellectual Property Review