Peter is a Legal Director in the Intellectual Property Group, specialising in all intellectual property rights, including copyright, trade marks, design rights and confidential information. He helps organisations to protect, exploit and enforce their intellectual property rights, maximising the value of their brands and other intellectual property, and co-coordinating anti-counterfeiting programs, in both the physical and online worlds.
Peter is also a specialist in licensing, complex contractual and tortious disputes.
A large number of the clients Peter advises are in the luxury goods, automotive and sporting sectors. In the luxury goods sector, he works with several of the world's leading fashion brands, helping them to build up and protect their trade mark and design portfolios.
Peter heads up Mishcon de Reya's Automotive Group, and advises a number of the world's leading car marques on their intellectual property strategies. He also acts for, and against, a number of Formula 1 teams on both commercial and intellectual property issues, including driver, sponsorship, supply and licensing agreements and disputes.
As someone with a strong interest in sport, Peter acts for a number or leading sporting organisations, clubs and athletes.
Peter has significant experience of Mishcon de Reya's award-winning Turning Losses Into Profits (TULIP®) programme, which has recovered over £100m for its clients from counterfeiting operations.
He is also a recognised expert on cross-border Customs detentions and enforcement.
Peter gained significant commercial experience during secondments at Cable & Wireless and the Forensic Science Service, and has been published a number of times in the specialist press on IP.
- Advising three luxury German car marques on the enforcement of their intellectual property rights, in particular in relation to alloy wheels and counterfeit goods
- Acting for a number of fashion brands including Christian Louboutin, Prada, Abercrombie & Fitch, Charlotte Olympia and Jack Wills on the protection and enforcement of their trade mark and design right portfolios
- Advising Tottenham Hotspur on licensing matters and the protection and enforcement of the club's intellectual property rights
- Protecting the intellectual property rights of various music artists in the UK, including Lady Gaga, Britney Spears and Kanye West
- Acting for Pfizer on its anti-counterfeiting strategy, including obtaining and executing search orders and freezing orders against suppliers of counterfeit medicines
- Advising numerous clients on Customs measures to prevent the importation of counterfeit goods into the EU
- Representing a Formula 1 racing team in various commercial and IP disputes
- Acting for a major furniture designer on the protection of the rights in various furniture ranges
- Advising globalCOAL, the world’s leading developer and facilitator of coal trades and financial derivatives, on the protection of its intellectual property rights
- Advising on domain name portfolio management and the recovery of domains
- Jack Wills Ltd v House of Fraser (Stores) Ltd
- BMW v Round and Metal Ltd
- Ate My Heart Inc v (1) Mind Candy Ltd (2) Moshi Music Limited
- MMI Research v CellXion Limited & Others
- Global Coal Limited v London Commodity Brokers Limited
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Assistant, Mishcon de Reya
University of Bristol, Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice
Assistant, Charles Russell LLP
Qualified, Charles Russell LLP
Kings College London, History (First Class Hons)
Articles and Publications
- "Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights Through Border Measures" – UK Chapter (Oxford University Press)
- "Anti-Counterfeiting" – UK Chapter (World Trademark Review)
- "Cracking the Code: Copyright Law and its Elusive Grail" European Intellectual Property Review