Nick is a Partner in the Corporate department and a regulatory and commercial specialist in the Betting and Gaming group. With nearly 20 years' experience advising companies from all parts of the gambling and gaming industries, Nick's practice addresses commercial and regulatory matters, including regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, licensing, commercial contracts, IP and IT, data protection, anti-money laundering, dispute resolution and corporate/M&A.
Nick is active in rapidly evolving areas such as skill gaming, esports, social gaming and gamification generally, where the regulated sector is converging with media and entertainment industries.
Nick's clients include multinational operators (remote and non-remote gambling); software developers; gaming machine and equipment manufacturers; investors and financial institutions; as well as regulators.
Nick is identified as a "gaming and betting expert" by Chambers UK with clients deeming him a "tremendous lawyer". Nick is also a general member of the International Masters of Gaming Law (IMGL).
- Advising numerous clients on licensing and regulatory requirements in Great Britain
- Advising numerous clients on licensing and regulatory requirements in other leading gambling jurisdictions, including Malta, Alderney, Gibraltar and the Isle of Man
- Providing coordinated regulatory and commercial advice to various clients assessing their strategy across multiple jurisdictions
- Advising Intertain on its acquisition of the Costa Bingo brand
- Advising private equity client on financing of a major casino development project
- Advising on the acquisition of a UK casino group
- Representing the then owners of the Full Tilt Poker brand in regulatory proceedings before the Alderney Gambling Control Commission
- Advising London Clubs International on the relocation of a casino licence from premises at 50 St. James's Street to the Empire Leicester Square
- Securing a casino premises licence for the State Casino, Liverpool
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
University of Bristol, LLB (Hons)
Articles and Publications
Nick is the Editor of IMGL's specialist industry journal "European Gaming Lawyer".