Nick is a Partner in the Innovation Department and Head of the Firm's top ranked Betting and Gaming Group. With over 20 years' experience advising companies from all parts of the gambling and games industries, Nick's practice addresses commercial and regulatory matters, including regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, licensing, AML and regulatory compliance, commercial contracts, and corporate/M&A.
Nick is active in rapidly evolving areas such as skill gaming, esports, social gaming and gamification generally, where the regulated sector is converging with digital entertainment. Nick is also the co-lead of the firm's esports and Digital Entertainment group.
Nick's clients include multinational gambling operators; game publishers; software developers; gaming machine and equipment manufacturers; investors and financial institutions; as well as regulators.
Nick is identified as a "gaming and betting expert" by Chambers UK and Chambers Global with clients deeming him a "tremendous lawyer". Legal 500 have recognised him as a Leading Individual in this sector and he is part of the Hall of Fame. Nick is also a general member of the International Masters of Gaming Law (IMGL).
- Advising numerous gambling industry clients on licensing and regulatory requirements in Great Britain and other leading jurisdictions
- Advising numerous social and skill gaming operators on their legal and regulatory matters
- Providing coordinated regulatory and commercial advice to various clients assessing their strategy across multiple jurisdictions
- Advising Intertain on its acquisition of the Costa Bingo brand
- Advising DraftKings on its merger with Diamond Eagle Acquisition Corporation and SBTech
- Advising Hydra Industries Acquisition Corp. (now Inspired Entertainment Inc.) on its acquisition of Inspired Gaming
- Advising private equity client on financing of a major casino development project
- Advising on the acquisition of a UK casino group
- Representing numerous operators and individuals in regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by the Gambling Commission
- Representing the then owners of the Full Tilt Poker brand in regulatory proceedings before the Alderney Gambling Control Commission
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
University of Bristol, LLB (Hons)