Martyn is a Partner in our Intellectual Property group, specialising in both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property. He works primarily for clients in the life sciences sector and is Head of the Life Sciences Group. He has been recognised by Chambers for his "work on patent disputes for pharmaceuticals, electronics and energy clients". His practice includes advising regular clients Shionogi (pharma), Perrigo Group (pharma), Dermal Laboratories (pharma), United Phosphorus (agrochemical), Advanta (seeds) and O'Brien Group (pharma) on the full range of litigation, clinical trials, licensing, research and development, collaboration and supply agreements as well as regulatory, general IP and commercial advice.
Martyn's contentious work focuses on patent and regulatory disputes but also covers trade marks, design rights and copyright disputes, especially in the life sciences and industrial sectors. His non-contentious practice is again mainly in the area of life sciences, acting for regular clients on commercial and regulatory matters. He advises on research and development agreements, licensing agreements and distribution, agency and supply agreements. He and his team also work with clients on all aspects of their clinical trial arrangements from regulatory compliance to agreements with CROs and the approval and completion of clinical trial agreements, usually for multi-centre studies.
- Advising Shionogi Limited on its Phase III multi-centre clinical trial arrangements.
- Representing Dermal Laboratories on a medical device patent infringement claim by Orasure, Inc.
- Advising Advanta Seeds on the opposition and revocation of an edible oils patent held by Cargill, Inc.
- Acting for Clasado in its successful defence of the opposition proceedings brought by Nutricia in the EPO.
- Advising United Phosphorus Limited on a claim in relation to counterfeit agrochemicals against Agchem Access Limited, Grosvenor Chemicals Limited and Whyte Agrochemicals Limited.
- Acting for United Phosphorus Limited in an arbitration dispute with Harlan Laboratories over a breach in the conduct of a toxicity study.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Assistant, Norton Rose
Assistant, Slaughter & May
Qualified, Slaughter & May
UCW Aberystwyth Law LLB