Martin is a Partner in the Fraud Defence Group in the Dispute Resolution department. He specialises in civil fraud and takes on substantial cases for claimants and defendants alike. For claimants, his particular expertise lies in multi-jurisdictional asset-tracing enquiries involving overseas investigative authorities and for defendants he is most often engaged in high profile civil proceedings where the defendant is also under investigation by criminal, tax and other regulatory authorities.
Martin advised clients that secured the recent strike out by the Court of Appeal of a £50m HMRC fraud claim and is currently advising in a high-profile case involving hotly disputed allegations against senior members of the Saudi royal family of money laundering for terrorists, gold smuggling and threats to kill including in appeals to the Supreme Court.
He is a former committee member of the Young Fraud Lawyers Association, committee member of the Fraud Lawyers Association and co-founder of the firm's Criminal Law Panel.
- Acted for a Swiss lawyer who was appointed the executor of an English Estate in defending a claim seeking his removal under section 50 of the Administration of Justice Act 1985 by the sole beneficiary of the estate. The matter included allegations of fraud and theft, and was part of a worldwide series of criminal and civil claims in various territories including the Cayman Islands, BVI, Delaware, Israel, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. Successfully applied for summary judgment on behalf of our client on his counterclaim - Perry v Neupert  EWHC 88 (Ch)
- Acted in the investigation carried out by a substantial Middle Eastern aluminium producer coordinating the international investigation of allegations of fraud and money laundering involving tens of millions of dollars and spread across a number of jurisdictions including Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Luxembourg, The British Virgin Islands, The Bahamas, Jersey and the Isle of Man.
- Acted in the investigation of a large scale development fraud coordinating an international investigation of fraud, corruption and bribery involving the loss of millions of US$ including coordinating injunctive action in Jamaica, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Canada and Hong Kong.
- Acted for the former Finance Director of the collapsed “Versailles” trade finance house defending claims in excess of £50m.
- Acted for the former Chief Executive and the former Finance Director of the collapsed metals trader “RBG Resources” defending claims in excess of £350m.
- Acted in the successful defence of fraud allegations involving an alleged international property investment scheme.
- Acted in numerous cases obtaining and defending freezing orders, search orders and other injunctive remedies.
- Advising individuals in their defence to claims brought by liquidators in excess of £50m in circumstances where a HMRC tax investigation is ongoing.
- Acted in relation to the recent MP's expenses investigations as well as in the defence of a multi million US$ claim regarding mineral rights and mines in Africa.
- Acted for high profile private equity houses and hedge funds seeking to recover large losses incurred as a result of investments made on the basis of what turned out to be fraudulent information.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Partner, Orchard Solicitors
Solicitor, Orchard Solicitors
Articles and Publications
- The Fight Against Fraud – Financier Worldwide – February 2019