Joe is Partner and the Head of MDR Cyber, the cyber practice at Mishcon de Reya. He focuses on providing strategic cyber advice, helping organisations to develop and optimise their investments in cyber risk management, and to manage incidents and investigations when things go wrong. Joe oversees the firms services in Cyber Security, Incident Response and Digital Investigations, with a team of non-lawyer cyber specialists.
Joe has a wide range of expertise in cyber risk and security, data protection and resilience, with first-hand experience of some of the UK’s largest cyber incidents. Joe is a specialist at the nexus of cyber security issues and legal responses. He works closely with legal colleagues across Mishcon de Reya to help clients in protecting themselves and their organisations, to recover stolen funds and to prevent the misuse of their data.
Through a variety of consulting roles he has helped organisations prepare for cyber breaches and data loss events across global sectors. He began his career in the Defence and National Security sector and was one of the first cyber specialists in the Lloyds insurance market, supporting the underwriting of cyber risks.
Joe is a mentor for the start ups taking part in MDR LAB.
- Advising senior management of a large health insurer on their customer care strategy in the event of a data loss.
- Supporting the development of a new cyber and process control security strategy for a major FTSE 100 Oil and Gas firm.
- Reviewing the cyber maturity, strategy and operating model of a large UK energy group and advising on structure and future strategy.
- Advising a major US software vendor on the modelling of cyber risk events.
- Reviewing the cyber maturity of a large UK telecommunications company after a major data breach.
- Reviewing the current PCI-DSS compliance and advising on the future cyber strategy of a UK high-street retailer.
- Development of cyber insurance products and go to market strategy for a UK insurance syndicate.
- Led research into United States Energy sector cyber maturity for a UK insurance syndicate
- Reviewing the cyber security of a major defence programme in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Technical Security Lead for Government Smart Metering programme
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Head of Cyber, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Senior Manager, PwC
Cyber Specialist, AEGIS London at Lloyds
Senior Manager, BAE Systems
University of Warwick, MBA
Royal Holloway, MSc Information Security
ISACA Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
ISACA Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
ISACA Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
ISC2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
ISO27001 Lead Auditor
University of Wales, Aberystwyth, BSc (Hons) Computer Science