Jamie is a Managing Associate in the Employment department. He acts for employers and employees on all aspects of employment law and related legal and commercial matters across a range of sectors.
Jamie has extensive experience acting on complex, high-value and sensitive matters for senior employees, directors (of both private and listed companies) and partners/LLP members. He has advised senior executives at major investment banks, insurers, interdealer brokers, hedge funds, private equity firms, advertising and design agencies and pharmaceutical companies. He is most frequently instructed to negotiate and advise on exit packages, restrictive covenants issues and associated litigation, but also advises individuals in relation to contractual and commercial terms at the outset of (or within) employment. Jamie increasingly operates at the intersection of employment law and regulation, and has experience advising regulated employees facing disciplinary action.
Jamie also acts for a wide range of employers typically involving contentious disputes and litigation but also day-to-day HR matters (including disciplinary, grievance and redundancy procedures, drafting and review of employment contracts, consultancy arrangements, and settlement agreements).
Jamie has litigated on behalf of a number of senior individuals and employers. His experience includes complex Employment Tribunal disputes involving whistleblowing, discrimination, harassment and unfair dismissal, and High Court litigation involving complex contractual issues, bonus claims and misuse of confidential information.
- Acting for the former CEO and COO of a global design business in ongoing and complex litigation against the company and its remaining shareholders, involving claims for unfair dismissal and whistleblowing in the Employment Tribunal and High Court claims concerning loss of shares and bonuses.
- Acting for a global technology business in complex multi-jurisdictional litigation involving its former CEO and claims for unpaid bonuses and fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Advised a global NFT business on setting up a UK establishment and hiring staff (involving leading a team of corporate, tax and incentive lawyers).
- Acting for the former global CEO of a fintech company in relation to a cross border whistleblowing claim and related FCA issues which resulted in a seven figure settlement sum.
- Advising a number of Senior Executives from leading PLCs, hedge funds and interdealer brokers in relation to the renegotiation of terms, bonus agreements, and exit terms.
- Representing employer clients in the Employment Tribunal defending claims brought by current and former employees involving various issues including unfair dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing and theft of confidential information.
- Acting for the former COO of a global commodities business in a High Court dispute involving misrepresentation and breach of contract in relation to bonuses and other remuneration.
- Advising a senior hedge fund portfolio manager and his team on their exit and negotiation of new terms at a competitor.
- Acting for a private equity firm and a recruitment company in successfully obtaining undertakings in relation to the theft of confidential information and breaches of restrictive covenants by former employees.
- Negotiating high value settlements for individuals in respect of sex, race and disability discrimination and whistleblowing disputes across a wide range of industry sectors.
- Mele v Angela Mortimer Plc & Ors (2203102/2019 and 2200211/2020) – Represented the successful claimant (a senior recruitment executive dismissed purportedly on grounds of redundancy) from pre-dismissal through to trial in a whistleblowing and unfair dismissal case.
- Gibson v SAM Investment Holdings Limited (2207091/2017) - Acted for the successful claimant in a complex disability discrimination claim in the Employment Tribunal.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, BDBF LLP
Solicitor, DWF LLP
Trainee Solicitor, DWF LLP
University of Exeter, LLB
University of Law, LPC
Articles and Publications