Ben Giaretta is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution department, specialising in international commercial arbitration.
He has a wide experience of disputes in many industry sectors, including oil & gas, mining, petrochemicals, telecommunications, shipping, insurance, banking, joint ventures, construction, engineering and infrastructure. He has represented clients on disputes across the world including in India, China, Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, the UAE, Russia, Germany, Switzerland, the UK, Libya, Angola, Nigeria, the USA and many other countries, and under many different arbitration rules including the ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules. Between 2009 and 2016 he was based in Singapore as the head of international arbitration in Asia for an international law firm.
Since 2009, he has been consistently recognised in all the major legal directories including Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, Who's Who Legal and Expert Guides. He has been described as "a standout lawyer for international dispute work" and "one of the best and most active practitioners in this space".
As well as appearing as counsel in international arbitration, he also accepts appointments as arbitrator. He has had over 30 appointments as arbitrator (as sole arbitrator, party nominated arbitrator, presiding arbitrator and emergency arbitrator) and he is on the panels of arbitrators of many arbitration institutions throughout the world. He has a Postgraduate Diploma in Arbitration in Queen Mary University of London, he is a Chartered Arbitrator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a Solicitor-Advocate and an Associate Mediator at the Singapore Mediation Centre.
He has published widely about international arbitration, and he regularly speaks about arbitration at conferences all over the world. He also teaches on arbitration courses for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (all levels including Fellowship courses and Chartered Arbitrator interviews) and the University of Aberdeen.
- Acting as counsel for the sellers of LNG on a price review concerning a major LNG plant in SE Asia
- Acting as counsel for one of the largest chemicals companies in the world in a US$ 60 million dispute concerning a project in India
- Acting as counsel for a UK mining company in a US$ 2 billion claim in Indonesia
- Acting as counsel for a major German company in a multi-million Euro arbitration concerning the construction of a power station in India
- Acting as counsel for a Middle Eastern satellite operator in an LCIA arbitration brought against it arising out of a joint venture agreement
- Acting as counsel for a Malaysian property group in a dispute concerning the purchase of a hotel in Thailand
- Acting for a UAE oil company in a dispute concerning the charterparty of support vessel
- Acting as arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between a Singapore company and a US company concerning an oilfield licence
- Acting as arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between a Korean company and a US company concerning a tunnelling project
- Acting as arbitrator in a SIAC arbitration between a Russian company and a Hong Kong company concerning an IT contract
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Head of International Arbitration (Asia), Ashurst LLP, Singapore
Partner, Ashurst LLP, London
Nottingham Law School, PGDL
College of Law, Guildford LPC
University of Oxford, MA, Classics
Queen Mary University of London, Postgraduate Diploma, International Commercial Arbitration
Articles and Publications
- "What Will Arbitration Look Like in a Future Virtual World?", Arbitration (Journal of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators), 2019, Vol 85(4)
- "LNG Plant Disputes" in Dispute Resolution in the Energy Sector , Globe Law and Business, 2019
- "The Practice of Emergency Arbitration", Belgian Review of Arbitration , 2017, Issue 1
- "Blind Appointment of Arbitrators: The Way Forward?", Legal Era Magazine, February 2017
- "Project Management in International Arbitration", McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution, 2016, Vol. 3 (Winner of the CPR award for Best Short Article)
- "Know Your Arbitrator", LexisNexis PSL, 2015
- "How To Train Your Arbitration Counsel", LexisNexis PSL, 2014
- "Investment Treaty Arbitration" in Dispute Resolution in the Energy Sector, Globe Law and Business, 2012
- "Duties of Arbitrators and Emergency Arbitrators under the SIAC Rules", Asian International Arbitration Journal, 2012, Vol. 8