Ben Giaretta is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution department, specialising in international arbitration.
His experience spans a number of industry sectors, including oil & gas, mining, petrochemicals, telecommunications, shipping, insurance, construction, engineering and infrastructure. He has represented clients on disputes throughout the world, including Europe, Africa and the Americas, and particularly in Asia: he lived and worked in Singapore for seven years.
Ben is recognised in the 2018 edition of Expert Guides: Commercial Arbitration and is highly recommended in various other legal directories, where he has been described as "a standout lawyer for international dispute work" and "one of the best and most active practitioners in this space". While in Singapore, he was listed in Band 1 and called "one of Singapore's top arbitration counsel".
He appears as counsel in international arbitration and often sits as arbitrator: he has been appointed as sole arbitrator, party nominated arbitrator, presiding arbitrator and emergency arbitrator, on many occasions. Ben is on the panels of arbitrators of several arbitration institutions, including the SIAC and the HKIAC, and he is a Chartered Arbitrator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
He regularly speaks at conferences about international arbitration, and lectures on arbitration at several universities and for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Acting as counsel for the sellers of LNG on a price review concerning a major LNG plant in SE Asia
- Acting as counsel for one of the largest chemicals companies in the world in a US$ 60 million dispute concerning a project in India
- Acting as counsel for a UK mining company in a US$ 2 billion claim in Indonesia
- Acting as counsel for a major German company in a multi-million Euro arbitration concerning the construction of a power station in India
- Acting as counsel for a Middle Eastern satellite operator in an LCIA arbitration brought against it arising out of a joint venture agreement
- Acting as counsel for a Malaysian property group in a dispute concerning the purchase of a hotel in Thailand
- Acting for a UAE oil company in a dispute concerning the charterparty of support vessel
- Acting as arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between a Singapore company and a US company concerning an oilfield licence
- Acting as arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between a Korean company and a US company concerning a tunnelling project
- Acting as arbitrator in a SIAC arbitration between a Russian company and a Hong Kong company concerning an IT contract
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Head of International Arbitration (Asia), Ashurst LLP, Singapore
Partner, Ashurst LLP, London
Nottingham Law School, PGDL
College of Law, Guildford LPC
University of Oxford, MA, Classics
Queen Mary University of London, Postgraduate Diploma, International Commercial Arbitration
Articles and Publications
- "The practice of emergency arbitration", Belgian Review of Arbitration, 2017, Issue 1
- "Blind appointment of arbitrators: the way forward?", Legal Era Magazine, February 2017
- "Project management in international arbitration", McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution, 2016, Vol. 3
- "Know your arbitrator", LexisNexis PSL, 2015
- "How to train your arbitration counsel", LexisNexis PSL, 2014
- "Dispute Resolution in the Energy Sector", Globe Law and Business – chapter on Investment Treaty Arbitration (2012 edition); chapter on LNG plant disputes (2018, forthcoming)
- "Duties of arbitrators and emergency arbitrators under the SIAC Rules", Asian International Arbitration Journal, 2012, Vol. 8