Alexander is a Partner in the International Arbitration Group, in the Dispute Resolution Department. He represents clients in complex international commercial arbitrations and investment treaty arbitrations, and advises on public international law matters.
Alexander represents clients across a number of sectors, but has significant expertise in the energy sector and has represented clients in disputes and advisory matters across the value chain in both the oil and gas and renewable energy industries. He also has wide experience in large-scale disputes in the construction, infrastructure, telecommunications, and financial services sectors. Alexander has acted under most of the major arbitration rules (ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, SCC, ICSID, etc) and appears as advocate before arbitral tribunals and the English courts.
Alexander has been ranked as a Future Leader in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration from 2017 – 2022, and has been recognised for arbitration by Legal 500 (2018, 2020, 2021, 2022) and Chambers UK (2019).
- Acting for a Lithuanian company, UAB E energija, in an ICSID arbitration and subsequent Annulment proceedings against the Republic of Latvia. The dispute arose from the cancellation of a concession for the private operation of a centralised heating facility in Latvia.
- Acting for a European contractor in a billion dollar ICC arbitration arising out of the cancellation of a major offshore pipeline project.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to a major offshore windfarm project.
- Acting for an Asian state in relation to a dispute over a solar power project.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern state in an ICC arbitration against another state under international law, involving breaches of a pipeline treaty and treaty of friendship between the two states.
- Acting for a UK oil and gas company in a series of linked arbitrations relating to royalty interests over oil and gas fields in East Asia.
- Acting for an oil trading company in an ICC arbitration against a Middle Eastern state-owned company; the claim was for $96 million and involved supportive court proceedings in different jurisdictions.
- Acting for a financial institution in an UNCITRAL arbitration relating to a debt financing and equity investment in a mining project. The dispute involved counterclaims running to hundreds of millions relating to misrepresentation and negligent misstatement.
- Acting for an investor in an UNCITRAL bilateral investment treaty arbitration concerning the cancellation of telecoms licences.
- Acting for the municipality of an Asian state in defending a $3.5 billion claim brought in ICC arbitration by a U.S. contractor with respect to an aborted infrastructure project.
- Acting for a Bulgarian employer in defending claims brought in ICC arbitration by a Kuwaiti contractor with respect to the construction of an airport runway and associated buildings.
- Acting for a global contractor in an ICC arbitration regarding a major infrastructure project in the Middle East.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Counsel, Vinson & Elkins RLLP
Associate, Salans LLP / Dentons
Trainee Solicitor, Salans LLP
BPP London, Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course
University College London, BA (Hons) French and Philosophy