Conflicts involving trusts, estates and wills are a fact of life – and death. When that conflict takes the form of a legal dispute it will frequently involve family assets, often located in multiple jurisdictions. We operate in a world where the framework of law and regulation is constantly changing, with a drive towards greater transparency, particularly within the areas of tax, trusts and asset protection. Ever-changing anti-money laundering regulations and growing public hostility to tax avoidance place greater pressure on individuals and trustees involved in protecting wealth.
It is often the combination of the intensely personal nature of the dispute, the competing agendas of the family members, and the location of assets in multiple jurisdictions which creates a complexity that itself can become an obstacle to resolution.
Many of our lawyers are recognised as leaders in their fields and have a wealth of experience in acting for private individuals and family businesses at both a domestic and international level. We place great weight on our duty to act professionally whilst maintaining complete objectivity and confidentiality.
Our litigation expertise allows us to handle almost any situation arising out of a trust or succession dispute. We have in-depth experience in obtaining injunctions to freeze or gain control over assets and/or evidence which may be the subject of a dispute, as well as in discharging them. Our own International Network of Fraud Specialists, The International Fraud Group, gives us a critical edge when securing piggyback injunctions in other key jurisdictions. We act with toughness in adversity and possess measured, intelligent negotiation skills.
From our offices in the two key financial hubs of London and New York we operate a trans-Atlantic dispute resolution practice to settle the issues of wealthy families and individuals.
- Court of Protection and mental capacity issues
- Fraud, asset tracing and asset recovery, business crime
- Injunctions and freezing orders
- International and cross border strategic advice
- Tax disputes
- Trust disputes
- Will & succession disputes
- Representing the Dellal family in a widely publicised dispute under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 (Dellal v Dellal and Others  EWHC 907 (Fam)).
- Successfully removing a trustee from a significant landed estate on behalf of a beneficiary of the estate contesting the appointment of a judicial trustee. Assets held within the Trusts are valued at over £200m.
- Acting for the protector of three Nevis trusts and advising on the replacement of the trustee. The case involved months of litigation including applications for injunctive relief in Switzerland and Jersey.
- Acting for four trust companies, parties to litigation brought by a Russian bank and the Russian Deposit Insurance Agency against the Bank's co-founder in a $2 billion bankruptcy case in Russia.
- Representing Dr. Gill in the successful Court of Appeal challenge overturning her mother's Will, which had left her estate to the RSPCA (Gill v RSPCA  EWCA Civ 1430).