The lawyers in our Finance and Banking group are not merely external advisers to our clients, but form a core part of their business, proactively working with them to analyse risks, protect assets, resolve disputes and therefore build their businesses.
We specialise in advising businesses in a state of change and growth. We are used to leading clients through the complexities that arise from the often unconventional situations they encounter, protecting their businesses and helping them capitalise on the opportunities available.
We work with banks and financial institutions to develop legal and commercial strategies tailored to our clients’ commercial needs and the challenges they face. We also represent borrowers, financial sponsors and creditors, and debt and equity investors across the gamut of contentious (see our Finance and Banking Disputes page) and non-contentious issues, including restructurings that involve corporate and property acquisition finance. We represent high net worth individual investors and have a clear understanding of the nexus between an individual’s private and corporate affairs.
- Acquisition finance
- Funds and financial services
- Corporate lending
- Real estate finance
- Finance and banking disputes
- Retail banking disputes
- Successfully representing American Express in a merchant acquisition agreements dispute conducted under the rules of the LCIA.
- Advising the private equity firm, Terra Firma, in respect of the re-trial of its US$ multi-billion claim against Citigroup arising out of the acquisition of EMI.
- Representing Investec Bank Limited in a fraud-related matter involving asset tracing and recovery.
- Acting for Duet Asset Management in its defence of a €60m claim in respect of the aborted acquisition of the largest minority shareholding in a leading listed property fund in the Netherlands.
- Acting for Standard Chartered Bank in proceedings in Bangladesh, dealing with a range of issues arising from a power purchase contract, including the terms of the Demand Guarantee and its duration.