Justin Shmith is a Consultant to the Singapore office and is recognised for his skills and experience in cross border M&A and private equity throughout the Asian region and in projects (including in infrastructure, mining, oil and gas and transport).
Justin advises clients across a number of sectors, but in particular, those in mining, agribusiness, infrastructure, gaming, media, art, transport, pharmaceutical, beverages and retail. He currently advises a number of start-ups and investors in start-ups. He also represents a number of high net wealth families and their family offices in Australia and overseas on their Australian investments and estate planning.
Justin has been recognised in Best Lawyers in Australia and was described as 'prompt, commercial and constructive' in The Legal 500-Asia-Pacific. He has also been named in the Euromoney Guide to Leading Practitioners in China and is a former member of the China Working Group of the International Legal Services Australia Commission.
Justin was previously a Partner in the Corporate Group at the international law firm, Ashurst (formerly Blake Dawson). He is a former Board member of that firm. He also spent three years as its Managing Partner in Shanghai and as its Regional Practice Leader.
- Advised Bakrie Capital Indonesia and Ithaca Resources on a landmark US$2 billion coal-to-methanol project in Indonesia to be undertaken on a build, own, operate basis with Air Products.
- Advised PT CLS, an Indonesian coal company, on its US$246 million purchase of 30% of the shares in PT Arutmin from TATA Power Company.
- Advised PT Visi Media Asia Tbk, and Indonesian listed company, on media asset sales in Indonesia.
- Advised PromisePay, an on-line payment facilitator with a presence in the United States and Australia, on its Series IV funding, corporate restructuring and share options scheme.
- Advised Ladbrokes on its initial establishment in Australia of an on-line gaming business.
- Advised an Australian high net wealth family on the establishment of a US family office.
- Advised a European art financier on security arrangements.
- Advised a high profile international sportsman on the establishment of a health foods business.
- Advised an overseas based Chinese investor on its acquisition of a major Australian winery and tourism facility.
- Advised a listed Taiwanese company on the establishment of an Australian joint venture.
- Advised Keolis and Downer EDI on their successful bid for a Victorian passenger tram franchise and on its bid for bus franchises.
- Advised the Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India on the concession and access arrangements for the Delhi to Mumbai Dedicated Freight Corridor.
- Advised PetroChina on its A$3.5 billion joint venture acquisition with Shell of Arrow Energy (Asia Counsel Deal of the Year).
Partner, Ashurst (formerly Blake Dawson)
Partner, Turnbull Shmith
Solicitor, King Wood Mallesons (formerly Mallesons Stephen Jaques)
Foreign Lawyer, Slaughter and May
University of Melbourne, LLB
Articles and Publications
- LAWASIA Hong Kong – Key Note address on Outward Invetsment by Chinese Companies
- Food and Agribusiness in Australia - Credit Suisse Family Office Seminar
- ACLA Corporate Counsel Conference on Doing Business in Asia-Tricks and Traps
- ALB Masterclass - Impact of Australia's foreign investment laws on M&A
- Justin has also appeared on Sky Business News on foreign investment issues