After training and qualifying at Mishcon de Reya, Hugo became one of the youngest Partners at the firm in 2013. Hugo is a highly regarded commercial litigator specialising in the field of international corporate fraud, theft of confidential information and all forms of commercial dishonesty. He is an expert on the law and practice of obtaining injunctions, a core practice area for the firm.
Hugo leads some of firm's most complex and high value cases, including 'big ticket' litigation for clients from Russia and CIS. He has extensive experience in cases involving state actors where there is often a requirement to advise on the interplay between criminal and civil jurisdictions. He has developed strategies for combating cyber-crime and assisting insurers with innovative asset recovery techniques. He is currently contributing to the firm's joint public-private sector initiatives in relation to cyber security.
Hugo contributes to the firm's international strategy and chairs the firm's Russian and CIS desk. He also has a leading role in the firm's graduate recruitment programme and strategy, helping to identify the firm's next generation of partners.
- Acted for a high-profile banker who faced criminal investigations in other EU member states, extradition from the UK, as well as criminal restraint proceedings and large-scale commercial litigation in the civil courts.
- Acted for an investor in a property development joint venture, against well-known UK property developers for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty on the basis of diversion of funds and opportunities belonging to the joint venture.
- Investigation into a major gang of counterfeiters on behalf of a global US software manufacturer leading to multi-million dollar recoveries, following wide-ranging civil search, freezing and disclosure orders.
- Successfully represented a number of top recruitment businesses in injunctive proceedings to recover the client and candidate database and applications for pre-action disclosure, including for the first time in reported legal history an application on behalf of Hays for pre-action disclosure of documents held in a LinkedIn account as reported in the Telegraph.
- Acted for a hedge fund in an investigation into two former senior employees who allegedly downloaded financial secrets and complex trading software to set up in competition.
- Acted pro bono for a well-known charity in recovering the proceeds of a "fresh air" invoicing fraud perpetrated by a project manager in the property services division.
- Defended two businessmen associated in a multi-million dollar claim and worldwide asset freezing injunction brought against them by a British Virgin Island company owned and controlled by a Russian oligarch. The claim arose in connection with a loan agreement, personal guarantees and indemnities.
- Acted for the leading independent supplier of petrol and diesel products in the UK in a claim against a former employee who stole confidential information and sought to use it to his advantage in a competitive tender bid to win business from national supermarkets.
- Acted for a supplier of mobile phone and other telecom accessories based in the Middle East and Africa in a global investigation and subsequent multi-jurisdictional fraud claim against two former board directors and various corporate nominees.
- Acted for Pimlico Plumbers in the case reported in the Evening Standard and Daily Mail
- Successfully represented leading London estate agents Foxtons in a number of injunctions and applications for search orders, including the high profile case reported by the Evening Standard.
- Defended a claim brought by a film financing agent against a former director for wrongfully procuring a company to be put into liquidation and diverting business opportunities in breach of fiduciary duty.
- Acted for a leading fashion brand owner in a contractual claim and jurisdiction race against an Italian distributor who failed to pay royalties, and deliver a well-known underwear range on time.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Qualified, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
The University of Birmingham, BA (Hons) French and Spanish