Ben is a Partner in the White Collar Crime & Investigations Group. A senior practitioner in extradition, fraud and public law, he is a dual qualified barrister and solicitor. He practised at the Bar for 15 years at a leading London set renowned for its extradition and international crime practice. There he appeared in all courts in some of the leading extradition cases and has acted for Governments and individuals in over 100 extraditions, from Abu Hamza to Julian Assange. Ben has also held a senior position in private practice, where he was a solicitor and partner in a niche white-collar crime practice for 10 years before returning to the Bar.
With extensive experience in trial and appellate advocacy, Ben has provided legal advice and representation to private clients, foreign governments, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Attorney-General of England and Wales and the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in domestic criminal law, international criminal law, mutual legal assistance, extradition and public law cases. He also represents individuals and corporate clients in complex multi-jurisdictional commercial fraud and regulatory proceedings.
Ben is a former co-chair of the Business Crime Committee at the International Bar Association, and a past part-time lecturer on international criminal law at the London School of Economics.
- Acted for Government of the United States in the request for the extradition of Julian Assange for espionage.
- Acted for the Government of Rwanda in extradition proceedings against five alleged genocidiares.
- Acted for Abu Hamza in extradition proceedings brought against him by the Government of the United States.
- Acted for two Lebanese companies in contempt proceedings in the Masri litigation in the Commercial Court.
- Acted in numerous SFO investigations and prosecutions, including Maxwell, Jubilee Line, Independent Insurance and Torex.
- Acted for ten former undercover police officers who are Core Participants in the Undercover Policing Inquiry.
- Acted for the Commissioner of the Metropolitan in the David Miranda judicial review proceedings.
- Acted for UK based witnesses in Milan Magistrates investigation into Italian President Silvio Berlusconi.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Barrister, 3 Raymond Buildings
Partner, Russel Jones & Walker (now Slater & Gordon LLP)
University of London, LL.M Public International Law
Inns of Court School of Law, London, Bar Vocational Course
City University, London, Diploma in Law
University of Warwick, England/University of Wisconsin - Madison, USA, BA (Hons.) History