Hong Chong Yi is a Partner in the Singapore Transactional team.
With over a decade of experience in aviation and maritime finance, Chong Yi regularly advises state-owned enterprises, international financial institutions, private equity funds and transportation conglomerates on transactional maritime and aviation matters. Chong Yi has worked on some of the region's largest project vessel (LNG, FPSO, FSO, FSRU and semi-submersible rigs) and conventional vessel (containerships, bulk carriers and tankers) fleet financings. On aviation matters, he represents aircraft lessors on aircraft fleet and engine acquisitions, financings and lease novations. He has also acted for a variety of stakeholders on Asia's largest headline debt restructuring and enforcement projects in the transportation sector over the past decade (including but not limited to Hanjin Shipping, Berlian Laju Tanker, Ocean Tankers, Seadrill, Ezion Holdings Limited, Avianca and Asiana).
Chong Yi is also a corporate specialist and acts as trusted legal advisor to a wide range of clients across various industries, including medical technology, commodities, Ecommerce, venture capital and private equity. He advises them on everyday corporate and commercial legal issues and represents them in their various capacities as targets, acquirers, investors and issuers on their M&A and fundraising transactions.
Chong Yi is fluent in English and Mandarin.
- Advised a Malaysian shipping conglomerate on a bespoke non-recourse US$1 billion facility for the financing of a high specification Semi-FPS unit
- Advised a Malaysian shipping conglomerate on a series of three non-recourse facility agreements from a syndicate of banks aggregating US$450 million in loan value, in relation three LNG carriers
- Acted as financier’s counsel on a $600 million lease financing transaction between four subsidiaries of a leading government-linked Chinese leasing company (as owner) and a global shipping conglomerate in relation to the acquisition of four 24,000 TEU containerships
- Acted as borrower’s counsel on the refinancing of a $700 million conventional facility agreement into a Murabahah facility, between a syndicate of leading international banks and a Malaysian shipping conglomerate, in connection with the financing of a Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading unit
- Acted as financier’s counsel on a EUR500 million sale and leaseback financing transaction between various subsidiaries of a Norwegian-based passenger cruise (as charterers) and various subsidiaries of a leading government-linked Chinese leasing company (as owners), in relation to the acquisition of two passenger cruises ships
- Advised a leading Chinese leasing company in respect of a JPY 20 Billion Samurai loan coupled with a cross currency swap, from a leading Japanese bank (AFJ China Awards 2018 – Winner of Innovative Deal of the Year)
- Advised a leading US-based aircraft lessor on a portfolio purchase of 22 Aircraft (leased to various Asian, Middle Eastern and US-based airlines) from CMIG
- Advised a joint venture entity on the conditional sale purchase agreement) of a fleet of five narrowbody aircraft from ALC
- Advised a leading Chinese leasing company on the refinancing of six Airbus A320 aircraft and one Boeing 737-800 aircraft under a USD200 million term loan
- Advised a Korean airline on the restructuring of its debt and leasing obligations under all of its existing 170 debt agreements, operating leases, finance leases and bond agreements
- Advised a syndicate of leading international shipping banks, in respect of enforcement options under a US$500 million facilities agreement with a listed Asian shipping conglomerate
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Counsel, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, RHTLaw Asia LLP
Legal Counsel, Ezion Holdings Limited
Associate, Milbank LLP
Senior Associate, Clifford Chance LLP
Senior Associate, Allen & Gledhill LLP
National University of Singapore, Bachelor of Laws
National University of Singapore, Bachelor of Business Administration