As the UK's largest manufacturing sector with a turnover of approximately £100 billion, the food and drink industry is fast-paced, highly competitive and tightly regulated. As a result, its opportunities and challenges are both diverse and interesting, spanning profit margins, pricing controls and regulation as well as technology and environmental impact.
Our Food & Beverage Group acts for leading names at all stages of the supply chain, from production, manufacture and distribution through to retail. Clients include multi-national FMCG companies alongside UK manufacturers and retailers, both large and small, together with entrepreneurs and start-ups.
Our multi-disciplinary practice draws upon the expertise of our lawyers across the firm, including Intellectual Property and Brand Protection, Competition, Corporate, Commercial, Real Estate and Dispute Resolution.
We understand and are passionate about the sector, and have the breadth and depth of experience and quality of individuals to provide highly skilled teams for both transactional and contentious work to advise on all the issues you might face, whether this relates to IP protection or infringement, market opportunities or reputational concerns.
- Brand protection and exploitation
- Regulatory advice and competition law issues
- Commercial contracts including supply agreements, franchising and sponsorship agreements
- Product recall and best practice labelling
- IT, e-commerce and data protection
- Acquisitions and disposals
- Reputation protection
- Real estate including landlord and tenant, planning and construction issues
- Employment issues and TUPE
- Tax including VAT
- Advising Enotria Winecellars on the acquisition of Coe Vintners.
- Advising Bidvest on the acquisition of Cimandis from private equity owned Sandpiper.
- Advising Sainsbury's and other retailers in relation to claims against MasterCard in the UK High Court regarding overcharges paid on payment card processing fees.
- Obtaining the merger clearance for Bernard Matthews' acquisition of Lincs Turkeys.
- Representing the second largest brewery group and largest beer exporter in Scandinavia on the sale of its majority interests in three breweries and a bottling plant in the Eastern Caribbean to a group based in the Dominican Republic.
- Acting for a well-known soft drinks company in respect of passing off, trade mark and design matters in relation to their packaging.
- Acting on the recall of a market leading sparkling water brand.
- Advising a global tea brand on reputational issues.
- Acting for Carluccio's on its multi-territory franchising arrangements for the Middle East.
- Acting brewers and other beverage owners on life-cycle contracts, including licensing of 'recipes', logistics and distribution, export contracts, branding and sponsorship agreements.
- Advising a soft drink manufacturer on breach of contract claims issued by a distributor.
- Acting for a leading meat company in relation to a prosecution regarding the labelling of the meat content of their processed food.
- Advising Greenalls on the long term supply agreement of Bombay Sapphire to Bacardi.
- Providing bespoke immigration solutions for HNWI and large companies transferring staff to the UK including advising Michelin star award-winning Hakkasan on importing chefs.
- Negotiating a multi-year sponsorship agreement between Diageo and a PGA international schedule golf tournament.
- Acting for a well-known coffee brand in respect of counterfeit coffee being imported from Latvia into the UK