Susan Breen is a Partner in Mishcon Corporate and Head of the firm's top ranked Betting & Gaming group. Susan's practice spans both corporate and M&A, as well as regulatory and commercial advice with over 20 years' experience acting for gambling industry clients. A particular strength of Susan's practice is her ability to blend her corporate knowledge with regulatory, infrastructure, and compliance advice to many of the industry's leading operators, service providers and business owners both in the UK and internationally.
Much of Susan's work is international with a particular focus on helping clients buy or build businesses in an environment that has become increasingly complex from a legal, regulatory and tax perspective. She has been involved in many of the sector's high profile and innovative transactions over the last two decades.
Clients include significant operators, regulators, governments, affiliate marketing groups, games developers and service providers. Susan has been a senior trusted adviser for many years to certain high profile clients and governments in other jurisdictions. She has extensive experience of advising operators and their key shareholders on the risk management and issues facing operators in regulated or yet to be regulated markets. In addition to advising established businesses, Susan has also advised new entrants to the online gambling market in the UK, Africa and the US.
Susan is regarded as a pre-eminent lawyer in the betting and gaming sector by Legal 500, Chambers UK and Chambers Global, particularly for "servicing clients on complex, cutting-edge transactions, providing the regulatory overlay which makes her skillset so unique in this sector". Clients say that her "industry knowledge and understanding is unparalleled", "she cuts to the crux of the issues and gets on with it" and that she "really goes the extra mile for her clients".
Susan is a general member of the International Masters of Gaming Law (IMGL).
- Advised The Intertain Group Limited (now Gamesys Plc) on its acquisition of the Jackpotjoy brands for an initial payment of £425.8m and its partnership with Gamesys Limited.
- Advised HM Government of Gibraltar as an interested party in relation to the GBGA's 2014 judicial review challenge to the UK's new point of consumption licensing regime and the 2015 judicial review challenge to the UK's new point of consumption tax regime.
- Advised Catena Media Plc on several acquisitions of businesses in the UK, US and Australia.
- Advised the shareholders of SBS Worldwide (Holdings) Limited on its sale to DSV Air & Sea Holding A/S, part of the DSV global transport and logistics group.
- Advised two of the founders of PartyGaming Plc on its merger with bwin Interactive Entertainment AG.
- Advised two of the founders of Party Gaming plc on its £4.6 billion IPO.
- Advised on sales of several international gaming businesses to leading operators.
- Advised high net worth families on reconstructions of their businesses across multiple jurisdictions.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
University College, Dublin B.A. (Hons)