Susan Breen is a Partner in the firm's top ranked Betting & Gaming Group in the Innovation Department. Susan's practice spans both corporate and M&A, as well as regulatory and commercial advice with over 20 years' experience acting for gambling industry clients. A particular strength of Susan's practice is her ability to blend her corporate knowledge with regulatory, infrastructure, and compliance advice to many of the industry's leading operators, service providers and business owners both in the UK and internationally.
Much of Susan's work is international with a particular focus on helping clients buy or build businesses in an environment that has become increasingly complex from a legal, regulatory and tax perspective. She has been involved in many of the sector's high profile and innovative transactions over the last two decades.
Clients include significant operators, regulators, governments, affiliate marketing groups, game content and technology providers. Susan has been a senior trusted adviser for many years to certain high profile clients and governments in other jurisdictions. She has extensive experience of advising operators and their key shareholders on the risk management and issues facing operators in regulated or yet to be regulated markets. In addition to advising established businesses, Susan has also advised new entrants to the online gambling market in the UK, Africa and the US.
Susan is regarded as a pre-eminent lawyer in the betting and gaming sector by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners, particularly for "servicing clients on complex, cutting-edge transactions, providing the regulatory overlay which makes her skillset so unique in this sector". Clients say that her "industry knowledge and understanding is unparalleled", "she cuts to the crux of the issues and gets on with it" and that she "really goes the extra mile for her clients".
Susan is a member of the Executive Committee of the International Masters of Gaming Law (IMGL).
- Advised Gamesys Group Plc on its acquisition of the Jackpotjoy brands and related commercial arrangements.
- Advised HM Government of Gibraltar as an interested party in relation to judicial review challenge to the UK's point of consumption licensing regime and point of consumption tax regime.
- Advised Catena Media Plc on several acquisitions of businesses in the UK, US and Australia.
- Advised SportPesa on establishment and sponsorship arrangements in the UK and internationally.
- Advised Carousel Gaming on investment and content acquisition arrangements.
- Advised Pronet Gaming on establishment and cross-border commercial arrangements.
- Advised on sales of several international gaming businesses to leading operators and PE investors.
- Advised high net worth families in the gaming and technology sectors on reconstructions of their businesses across multiple jurisdictions.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
University College, Dublin B.A. (Hons)