Richard is a litigator in the firm's Fraud and Dispute Resolution team. He is a solicitor-advocate with rights of audience before all civil courts.
Clients benefit from Richard's wide-ranging experience in complex fraud, banking, and general commercial disputes. His cases are often large-scale, high value and have an international dimension.
Richard specialises in obtaining and defending asset freezing, search, and disclosure orders to protect his clients' interests. He also advises on cross-border asset tracing and recovery strategy, and has strong relationships with professionals in other major financial centres.
Richard's background includes significant corporate investigations and regulatory (FCA/SFO) work. He also has experience of various forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
Richard is qualified in England & Wales, Australia and New Zealand. He is a committee member of the Fraud Lawyers Association.
Richard is also a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). He leads Mishcon de Reya's training of the advanced financial transactions and fraud schemes course for prospective CFEs taking their professional examinations.
Richard has been involved in advising and acting for the following clients in disputes:
- US investors in securing high-profile $60 million worldwide asset-freezing / disclosure injunctions before the courts of the Cayman Islands. The orders are in aid of major Florida fraud proceedings against Eike Batista, the former 7th richest person in the world, and Chairman of oil explorer, the OGX Group, before its collapse in 2013.
- Discretionary trusts in New Zealand defending asset-freezing / disclosure orders in multi-billion pound, high-profile litigation in the English High Court by Russian creditors of Sergei Pugachev.
- A former CEO of a global financial institution in regulatory investigations.
- Private equity firm, Terra Firma, in multi-billion pound fraud litigation against Citibank arising out of its acquisition of EMI Music in 2007.
- A high net worth individual in securing discharge of injunctions obtained without notice in a US$1 billion Commercial Court fraud claim brought by Bahraini and Saudi corporates, with indemnity costs awarded to the client: Dar Al Arkan & Anor v (1) Al Refai, (2) Kroll & Ors (Comm)  EWHC 3539.
- Bank of Ireland in securing victory in a multi-million pound forged cheque scam perpetrated by fraudsters based in Germany, Switzerland and Africa, including recovery of stolen funds: Bank of Ireland v Pexxnet Ltd and Ors  EWHC 1872 (Comm).
- Bank of Ireland in securing victory in major fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims against a former senior executive and borrower, involving asset freezing and search orders: Bank of Ireland v Jaffery and Anor  EWHC 1377.
- The US Trustee of Bernie Madoff’s estate in a major claim against his London operating company, Madoff Securities International Limited, and its former directors.
- FTSE250 recruitment companies (including Hays International & Hydrogen Plc) in obtaining injunctions to protect from theft of commercial secrets.
- DHL International in defending a mistaken payment case against the liquidators of an Italian corporate: DHL GBS (UK) Ltd v Fallimento Finmatica SPA  EWHC 291 (Comm).
- American Express in complex debt recovery claims.
- Partners of a prominent London commercial real estate agency in defending a freezing injunction and fraud claim by JD Wetherspoon Plc.
- A director of a major London architectural practice in a multi-million pound unfair prejudice petition.
- Oil and gas clients in relation to Middle Eastern operations / regulatory investigations.
- A prominent UK celebrity in defending bankruptcy proceedings.
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, UK Chapter, Board Member
- Fraud Lawyers Association, Committee Member
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- London Solicitors Litigation Association
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Assistant, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Herbert Smith LLP
Solicitor, Minter Ellison Lawyers
Victoria University, New Zealand: LLB (Hons) BCom (Accountancy)
Articles and Publications