Richard is a Managing Associate in the Dispute Resolution department, specialising in commercial litigation, civil fraud, data protection, and sanctions regulations.
He acts for both individual and corporate clients in a range of disputes involving breach of contract, breach of confidence, breach of fiduciary duty, data theft and cyber security.
He assists victims of fraud by obtaining injunctive relief in order to secure assets and evidence, including search orders, freezing orders and disclosure orders.
He advises clients in relation to the evolving area of data protection law, including individuals as regards their rights to access their personal data from data controllers.
Richard also advises clients in relation to the application of EU and UK sanctions law in both an advisory and contentious capacity.
- Advising US investors in securing USD60 million worldwide asset-freezing relief and disclosure orders before the courts of the Cayman Islands in aid of commodities fraud proceedings in Florida against the founder of a Brazilian oil exploration and production company.
- Advising the Liquidator of a company in relation to an alleged £14.5m property fraud orchestrated by the company's former management against numerous investors.
- Advising a bank in respect of the recovery of c. USD2bn due under a facility agreement and connected finance documentation.
- Advising a private equity firm regarding alleged fraudulent misrepresentations made by the management sellers and the former private equity owners of a technology company. The claim was issued in the High Court with an approximate value of £200m.
- Advising clients in the recruitment and property sectors on claims against former employees and competitors for the theft of business sensitive confidential information, including customer data and financial information. Obtaining orders to secure the return of this information and restraining injunctions to prevent any further misuse of it.
- Advising individuals in relation to their rights to access their personal data from data controllers (including applications to the High Court under the Data Protection Act against banks and government bodies).
- Advising corporate clients in relation to their exposure to sanctions risk arising from their supply chains, corporate structures or wider commercial activity.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya LLP
BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course
BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
Durham University, BA (Hons)