Richard is a Managing Associate in the Dispute Resolution department, specialising in commercial litigation, civil fraud, and data protection.
He is also an expert in UK sanctions regulations, advising individual and corporate clients in both an advisory and contentious capacity, and coordinating international sanctions advice from the US, EU and other jurisdictions.
He acts for both individual and corporate clients in a range of disputes involving breach of contract, breach of confidence, breach of fiduciary duty, data theft and cyber security.
He assists victims of fraud by obtaining injunctive relief in order to secure assets and evidence, including search orders, freezing orders and disclosure orders.
He advises clients in relation to the evolving area of data protection law, including individuals as regards their rights to access their personal data from data controllers.
- Advising numerous corporate and individual clients in relation to their exposure to sanctions risk arising from their supply chains, corporate structures or wider commercial or financial activity.
- Advising a drinks business in successful proceedings before the Court of Appeal to discharge provisions of a worldwide freezing order that would prevent company from developing its fledgling business (see Organic Grape Spirit Limited v Nueva IQT, SL  EWCA Civ 999).
- Advising the Liquidator of a company in relation to an alleged £14.5m property fraud orchestrated by the company's former management against numerous investors (see Absolute Living Developments Ltd v DS7 Ltd & Ors  EWHC 2351 (Ch), Absolute Living Developments Ltd v DS7 Ltd & Ors  EWHC 550 (Ch), and Absolute Living Developments Ltd v DS7 Ltd & Ors  EWHC 1432 (Ch))
- Acting for Telefonica UK Limited (O2) in defending proceedings issued by Phones4U Limited (in administration) alleging collusion between EE, Vodafone, Telefonica and their parent companies (at the relevant time).
- Advising a bank in respect of the recovery of c. USD2bn due under a facility agreement and connected finance documentation.
- Advising US investors in securing USD60 million worldwide asset-freezing relief and disclosure orders before the courts of the Cayman Islands in aid of commodities fraud proceedings in Florida against the founder of a Brazilian oil exploration and production company.
- Advising a private equity firm regarding alleged fraudulent misrepresentations made by the management sellers and the former private equity owners of a technology company. The claim was issued in the High Court with an approximate value of £200m.
- Advising clients in the recruitment and property sectors on claims against former employees and competitors for the theft of business sensitive confidential information, including customer data and financial information. Obtaining orders to secure the return of this information and restraining injunctions to prevent any further misuse of it.
- Advising individuals in relation to their rights to access their personal data from data controllers (including applications to the High Court under the Data Protection Act against banks and government bodies).
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya LLP
BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course
BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
Durham University, BA (Hons)