Owen is an Associate in the Fraud Group, focussing on private criminal prosecutions and on advising victims of crime more generally.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, Owen worked as a Detective in the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), specialising in complex fraud and financial crime investigations, including cases with a cross-jurisdictional element. Owen served in the Organised Crime Command and Specialist Operations teams within the MPS, whilst also being accredited as a Financial Investigator by the National Crime Agency.
Since joining Mishcon de Reya, Owen has drawn on his previous experience in law enforcement to advise on and conduct private prosecutions on behalf of both corporates and individuals.
- Advising trustees in relation to the conduct of a private prosecution, which is currently due for trial, in which it is alleged that a former trustee abused his position to defraud the trust of approximately £750,000.
- Advising rights holders in relation to private prosecutions and related enforcement action.
- Conducting a complex costs appeal arising from a successful private prosecution.
- Provided private prosecution advice to a client, including with regard to cross-border banking arrangements and systems, the relevance and effect of foreign judgments on UK proceedings, and the law in relation to corporate criminal liability.
- Assisted in the private prosecution of sophisticated counterfeiters, for fraud against a prominent clothing brand.
Trainee Solicitor, Howard Kennedy LLP
Detective, Metropolitan Police Service
Police Officer, Sussex Police
University Of Law, Accelerated LPC LLM
BPP Law School, GDL (Commendation)
Cardiff University, BA (Hons) English Literature (2.1)