James is an Associate in the White Collar Crime Group, part of Mishcon's Fraud & Dispute Resolution team. He advises corporate entities or individuals on regulatory and criminal investigations.
James has acted in proceedings brought by the Serious Fraud Office, Office of Fair Trading (now the CMA), Financial Conduct Authority, Trading Standards and BIS. His experience covers a variety of regulatory and criminal matters including fraud, cartel activity and insider dealing. He has been involved in a number of highly complex cases often involving an international dimension, for example where parallel proceedings are brought by foreign enforcement agencies such as the Department of Justice. James is able to advise on the range of issues involved in white collar criminal defence.
He is also a committee member of the Young Fraud Lawyer Association.
- Acted for an individual in Operation Inertia, a criminal prosecution for a contra-trade VAT fraud in the mobile phone industry where the value alleged to be defrauded was in excess of £160 million.
- Advised an international corporate entity in relation to UN and EU economic sanctions.
- Acted for in individual in Operation Vex, a criminal prosecution alleging a VAT fraud valued at £90 million involving multiple jurisdictions and substantial amounts of evidence seized from various international banks.
- Acted in multi-jurisdictional confiscation proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 for an individual convicted of insider dealing.
- Acted for individual in first criminal prosecution under the Enterprise Act 2002 for cartel activity and price fixing.
- Advised advertising agency on restrictions as a result of the London Olympic Games Act 2006 in relation to a national television campaign.
- Acted for international corporate entity in relation to Trading Standards investigation for breaches of Safety Regulations.
- Advised individual in criminal proceedings in Gibraltar involving allegations of a substantial fraud.
- Advised corporate entity during investigation by the Department of Business Innovation and Skills including the use of statutory compulsory information requests.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Irwin Mitchell
College of Law, Bar Vocational Course
BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law
Birkbeck College, University of London, MA Philosophy
Kings College, University of London, BA Philosophy