Gareth is a Legal Director in the Business Crime Group, part of Mishcon's Fraud & Dispute Resolution team. He is responsible for the full range of advice and litigation relating to business crime, including: white collar criminal defence, restraint and confiscation of assets advice, anti-bribery and anti-fraud compliance advice, and private prosecutions. In addition to recognised expertise in relation to challenges to disclosure in criminal litigation, Gareth also has in-depth knowledge of the provisions of the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 dealing with immunity, restricted use undertakings and assisting offenders. He can bring to bear practical, first-hand experience of the types of cases for which those powers are suited. Since joining Mishcon de Reya, Gareth has taken the leading role in defending a number of SFO, FCA, HMRC and City of London Police investigations and prosecutions, drawing on his skills as a prosecutor to bring what is likely to be the highest value private prosecution ever brought before the Crown Court.
Gareth joined Mishcon de Reya from the Crown Prosecution Service where he was a Senior Lawyer within the Central Fraud Division and latterly the Organised Crime Division. He has led the prosecution case teams in some of the largest VAT frauds (including Missing Trader) together with a multi-million pound MSB money laundering prosecution. Through those cases, he has also gained considerable experience of restraint and confiscation proceedings in accordance with the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. He also led the team responsible for bringing the phone hacking and corruption of public officials prosecutions.
Gareth is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and is one of firm's trainers of prospective CFE's. He is also a member of the Fraud Lawyer's Association and the International Bar Association.
- Defended an SFO prosecution for laundering the proceeds of 'boiler room' frauds
- Defended a multi-million pound mortgage fraud
- Defending clients under investigation for bribery and corruption offences (including Bribery Act 2010 offences)
- Acted for clients under investigation, across multiple jurisdictions, for offences relating to rate/market manipulation
- Representation of clients who have been the subject of substantial cash seizures in accordance with the Proceeds of Crime Act
- Led the team responsible for the 'phone hacking' and corruption cases that arose from the investigation into the News of the World and, subsequently, other national newspapers
- R v Sarwar & Others –£100 million intra-EU Missing Trader VAT Fraud (including pre-charge restraint and post-conviction proceedings in relation to confiscation of assets)
- R v Ali & Others –a £15 million trans-EU indirect tax Fraud
- R v Rana & Others –£5m VAT Fraud (including restraint and confiscation proceedings in relation to assets).
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Senior Lawyer, Crown Prosecution Service, Organised Crime Division
Senior Lawyer, Crown Prosecution Service, Central Fraud Division
Senior Lawyer, Revenue & Customs Prosecutions Office
Brunel University, LLB (Honours)
Articles and Publications
Co-author: "An Inspector calls: do you need a lawyer?". Published in The Strategic View - Business Crime 2016, issue 1, September 2016