Gareth Minty is a Legal Director in the Fraud Group and specialises in advising clients who have been the victim of crime and who are seeking redress, whether directly in the form of a private prosecution or as a result of criminal proceedings brought by the state authorities. Gareth also advises corporate clients on wider criminal enforcement and deterrence strategies, as well as working in concert with the firm's MdR Cyber Investigations team and civil litigators to deliver comprehensive outcomes for clients.
Since joining Mishcon de Reya, Gareth has drawn on his experience as a senior lawyer in the Central Fraud Division of the Crown Prosecution Service to successfully conduct the largest private prosecution brought to date involving a complex €100m fraud, which resulted in a sentence of 8 years’ imprisonment.
Gareth’s private prosecution experience also extends to: prosecuting on behalf of Sky UK in relation to a fraud against the company’s intellectual property, internal accounting frauds involving substantial breaches of trust, proceedings for international blackmail in a corporate context, and advising in respect of prosecuting for company director offences.
Gareth is Vice-Chair of the Private Prosecutors' Association, as well as being a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and one of the firm's trainers of prospective CFE's.
- Defended an SFO prosecution for laundering the proceeds of 'boiler room' frauds
- Defended a multi-million pound mortgage fraud
- Defending clients under investigation for bribery and corruption offences (including Bribery Act 2010 offences)
- Acted for clients under investigation, across multiple jurisdictions, for offences relating to rate/market manipulation
- Representation of clients who have been the subject of substantial cash seizures in accordance with the Proceeds of Crime Act
- Led the team responsible for the 'phone hacking' and corruption cases that arose from the investigation into the News of the World and, subsequently, other national newspapers
- R v Sarwar & Others –£100 million intra-EU Missing Trader VAT Fraud (including pre-charge restraint and post-conviction proceedings in relation to confiscation of assets)
- R v Ali & Others –a £15 million trans-EU indirect tax Fraud
- R v Rana & Others –£5m VAT Fraud (including restraint and confiscation proceedings in relation to assets).
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Senior Lawyer, Crown Prosecution Service, Organised Crime Division
Senior Lawyer, Crown Prosecution Service, Central Fraud Division
Senior Lawyer, Revenue & Customs Prosecutions Office
Brunel University, LLB (Honours)
Articles and Publications
Co-author: "An Inspector calls: do you need a lawyer?". Published in The Strategic View - Business Crime 2016, issue 1, September 2016