Edwin is a Partner specialising in finance, banking and restructuring disputes. He engages in a wide range of investment actions for investors, lenders and debtors and acts both for and against financial institutions in disputes with customers, merchants and regulators. He has particular expertise in consumer credit and payment systems.
In addition to his work in finance and banking litigation, Edwin also has significant experience in restructuring and recovery disputes and of injunctive relief claims for data recovery and fraud. Prior to joining the firm, Edwin worked for the restructuring and recovery arm of a nationwide accounting firm.
Edwin is a member of the Fraud Lawyers Association and the London Solicitors Litigation Association.
Edwin is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
- Successfully defending a professional Trusts and Funds group in claims in England and Luxembourg Courts that the purchase of shares from a Bulgarian telecommunications provider at €330 million were rigged.
- Defending a number of individuals and corporations in a multi-jurisdictional claim relating to the funding and financing of substantial real estate assets in Montenegro. Securing the discharge of worldwide freezing injunctions - and similar orders in foreign jurisdictions - for material non-disclosure and the refusal of the English Courts to accept jurisdiction.
- Representing a full service investment and brokerage Bank in High Court proceedings in a claim brought by the bank against other lenders in a syndicated loan arrangement concerning alleged events of default arising out of a USD100 million loan participation note. The Bank argued that resolutions proposed and passed by the majority noteholders amounted to a fraud against the minority noteholders.
- Acting for Bain Capital and Ideal Standard International in declaratory proceedings relating to the powers of majority lenders and the nature of equity cures in respect of a billion dollar senior facility agreement (Strategic Value Master Fund Ltd v. Ideal Standard International Acquisition SARL & Ors  EWHC 171 (Ch)).
- Advising the American Express group of companies, including on secondment, in a wide range of matters, including compliance, partnerships and complex consumer credit actions.
- Advising in loan facility disputes concerning allegations of covenant breaches.
- Successfully defending a major financial institution in claims brought by merchants in the London Court of Arbitration for allegedly unpaid transactions.
- Protecting a lender in investigations brought by regulators and the authorities in respect of allegations of advance fee fraud.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Legal Director, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Trainee, Mishcon de Reya LLP
University of Warwick, Law LLB (Hons)