Daniel is an Associate in Mishcon Private. He acts for high profile and high net worth individuals, families and businesses, on a wide variety of legal matters in a UK and international context.
As a member of the Private Commercial Litigation and Art Law teams, Daniel's work encompasses disputes that are both personal and business related, often involving art and other cultural property. He also has experience in Private Wealth Disputes, personal tax and wealth structuring and Reputation Protection. Across these fields, Daniel has advised entrepreneurs and business owners, trustees and beneficiaries, collectors and dealers, artists and their estates and museums and galleries.
Daniel has recently written and presented in collaboration with Christie's Education, Family Office Magazine and Art & Museum Magazine. He is a member of the Contentious Trusts Association, The Responsible Art Market Initiative and Lawyers Volunteering for the Arts.
Private Commercial Litigation:
- Advising individuals, families and their businesses in relation to various commercial and contractual matters, often involving allegations of breach of contract, fraud, misrepresentation and intellectual property infringement.
- Advising an entrepreneur in relation to a breach of contract and civil fraud claim arising from a multi-million pound agreement with a former business partner and related litigation in Russia and the United Arab Emirates.
Art Law and Luxury Assets:
- Advising art and luxury asset collectors and dealers in bringing and defending claims involving auction houses and other parties, including issues regarding breach of contract, disputed ownership, condition, conversion, bailment and provenance.
- Defending an art dealership in litigation concerning a non-resale agreement and alleged breach of contract following the re-sale at auction of a high value painting.
- Assisting the board of trustees of a major London art museum in relation to its legal governance, including amendments to its charitable constitution and the removal of a trustee.
Private Wealth Disputes and Wealth Structuring:
- Acting for the partner of a deceased businessman in bringing a successful 1975 Act claim against his estate, valued in excess of £350 million.
- Advising a senior diplomat in relation to Court of Protection related issues and proceedings, in her capacity as a deputy.
- Assisting to defend trust files from being disclosed to a beneficiary pursuant to a data subject access request, resulting in two high profile Court of Appeal decisions.
- Advising a royal family in relation to various tax and wealth structuring issues, including UK residence and domicile matters and succession planning.
- Advising high profile clients, including a Qatari billionaire and a human rights activist, in connection with privacy related issues, including challenging defamatory remarks on social media and the exercise of the "Right to be Forgotten" to remove outdated allegations from appearing online.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Taylor Wessing LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Taylor Wessing LLP
BPP Law School, London, LPC with Business MA (Distinction)
BPP Law School, London, Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
University of Exeter, Exeter and Vassar College, New York, English with Study in North America BA (First Class Honours)