Barry is a Managing Associate in the Fraud and Dispute Resolution department.
Barry acts for high-net worth individuals, governments, insolvency practitioners and large companies.
He litigates high value commercial disputes, obtains injunctive relief and undertakes investigations to identify whether his clients have been the victims of fraud.
He has particular experience:
- pursuing multi-million pound commercial disputes for domestic and international clients in the High Court (and enforcing judgments on behalf of his clients);
- obtaining worldwide freezing orders, search orders and pre-action orders for disclosure (including under the Norwich Pharmacal and Bankers Trust jurisdictions);
- bringing and defending contempt proceedings;
- assisting governments and corporate clients investigate suspected fraudulent activity;
- assisting insolvency practitioners in respect of their inquiries into the affairs of insolvent companies.
Acting for the Administrators of London Capital & Finance PLC (investigating the collapse of LCF in circumstances where it owes creditors in excess of £230million)
Acting for the Department of Foreign Affairs of a large European nation (investigating the suspected fraudulent activity of a counterparty)
Acting for a high-net-worth individual in a US$6billion claim involving a Kazakh State Owned Enterprise (BTA Bank v Mukhtar Ablyazov)
Acting for a Saudi company and a Bahraini investment bank in a claim worth US$1 billion (Dar Al Arkan v Al Refai)
Acting for an individual in proceedings brought by an international bank (defending a claim worth £20m)
Acting for a FTSE 100 pharmaceutical company (in a claim subject to a group litigation order involving over 500 claimants)
Acting for an individual in judicial review proceedings (relating to the execution of search warrants by the Metropolitan Police Service)
Seconded to a FTSE 100 mining company (assisting with the management of a Serious Fraud Office investigation relating to activity in Kazakhstan and across Africa)
Seconded to a FTSE 100 fast moving consumer goods company (assisting with internal fraud investigations relating to activity across Eastern Europe and Africa)
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
BPP Law School, GDL & LPC
The University of Nottingham, (MRes) Politics and International Relations
The University of Nottingham, (BA) Politics