Alexander is a Managing Associate in Mishcon Private.
Alexander is a trusted advisor to typically international clients. He acts for individuals and families in relation to their personal, business and philanthropic interests. He also has significant business, not-for-profit and international relations experience, including as the founding CEO of the charity Stop Ivory; head of the Secretariat to the inter-governmental Elephant Protection Initiative; and as trustee and co-chair of the Strategic Projects Committee of Tusk Trust.
Trained as a litigator, Alexander has particular expertise in the resolution of complex private and commercial disputes, usually with reputational aspects. This includes assisting investors and the not-for-profit sector engaged in sub-Saharan Africa in relation to environmental matters, oil, gas and mining. Alexander's experience includes national courts in several African countries and in India, as well as the English High Court, mediation and arbitration; he has represented clients before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
As a trustee and advisor, Alexander has a particular interest in the increasingly important role of philanthropy in society. The focus of his work is to enable individuals and families to ensure they achieve the very greatest impact with their giving, encompassing legal, governance, policy and political aspects. Alexander is currently working with principals, other lawyers and non-lawyer advisors to review how philanthropy can be done more effectively, both in the UK and internationally.
Alexander is a Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society and a Conservation Fellow of the Zoological Society of London.
- Acting for a senior member of a family, in a complex and high value family and trust dispute being litigated in three separate jurisdictions namely in the English High Court, the Amsterdam Commercial Court and in the High Court of Bermuda.
- Representing private individuals accused of breach of privacy, defamation and blackmail.
- Representing a large multi-national, bringing a series of claims addressing attacks on its environmental and social record.
- Acting on behalf of a multinational oil and gas company in relation to a joint venture dispute over a multi-million dollar concession in the Mediterranean.
- Defending a claim arising from a west-African energy supply contract before the London Court of International Arbitration.
- Representing a US company against an African state in bringing Conciliation proceedings under the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- Advising on the restructuring of a family estate and the establishment of a Private Office.
- Advising on the establishment of a foundation for a large multinational corporate.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Qualified, Mishcon de Reya
Administrator, Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, Kenya
University of Nottingham, BSC