Steven is a Partner in Mishcon Private, specialising in Immigration law. With almost ten years’ experience working as an immigration lawyer he is recognised as an expert in his field, providing strategic, commercial, and informed advice to private individuals and organisations.
Steven advises clients in respect of the Tier 1 (Investor) and Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa categories and is at the forefront of changes to these categories, regularly consulting with the Home Office to shape policy. Having spent time in the Caribbean, he also has an in depth knowledge of second citizenship applications.
Steven plays a pivotal role in the firm’s Tier 2 business immigration group, working with the Employment and Corporate departments to provide an integrated client service. He advises in respect of all business immigration issues for both employers and employees including sponsor licence applications, Tier 2 visa applications, Sole Representative visas, and general compliance issues.
Steven also advises on European free movement rights, long residence applications, family based applications, litigation matters in the Tribunals and claims for Judicial Review.
He regularly advises in respect of asylum applications in the UK working with charities on a pro bono basis and works closely alongside the firm's in-house Extradition group to assist high profile individuals seeking political asylum in the UK.
Steven provides long term strategic advice to help clients obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain status and subsequent British citizenship. He has extensive experience with complex applications involving excess absences or other issues that require a solution based approach often requiring the use of discretion by the Home Office.
- Working closely with the Home Office to obtain pragmatic solutions for clients who are cash rich but time poor. This includes helping a Tier 1 (Investor) client who was unable to satisfy the extension requirements to be granted a visa extension through the use of discretion by the Home Office.
- Helping Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) clients demonstrate the legitimacy of their applications. This visa category has an alarmingly high refusal rate and so Steven utilises his experience to help ensure applications are successful.
- Working closely with key contacts within the Home Office to help fast track sponsor licence applications where business needs require this, reducing consideration times significantly.
- Providing a tailored service for clients and key intermediaries in the Caribbean and Middle East in regards to second citizenship programmes. Whether driven by a need to help overcome visa restrictions, tax plan, or invest in the future, Steven is increasingly advising clients in respect of various second citizenship programmes.
- Working closely with a leading immigration barrister to help overturn a Home Office asylum refusal decision at appeal stage.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Qualified, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee, Charles Russell
Nottingham Law School, LPC & GDL
University of Southampton, BA History