Steven is a Partner in the Immigration group. With over ten years’ experience working as an immigration lawyer Steven is recognised as an expert in his field, providing informed strategic and commercial advice to individuals and organisations.
As head of the firm's Business Immigration group, Steven advises both employers and employees on all aspects of business immigration including Tier 2 sponsor licence applications, Certificate of Sponsorship applications, Tier 2 and Tier 5 visa applications, sole representative visas, TUPE and change of ownership issues, and general compliance issues. He also has expertise in helping clients have Tier 2 sponsor licence applications reinstated following suspensions or revocations by the Home Office.
Steven advises clients in respect of Tier 1 (Investor) and Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visas and is at the forefront of changes to these categories, regularly consulting with the Home Office to shape policy. He also works closely with overseas law firms where international solutions are required including second citizenship programmes.
Steven has played a pivotal role in developing the firm's immigration-related litigation offering and regularly works on appeals, judicial review applications, and detention issues for clients. He also regularly advises in respect of complex asylum applications in the UK and human rights based applications.
Steven provides long-term strategic advice to help clients obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain status and subsequent British citizenship. He has extensive experience with complex applications involving excess absences or other issues that require a solution-based approach.
- Steven has been at the forefront of the firm's Brexit advisory service and regularly advises corporate clients on the impact of Brexit for their European workforce.
- Working closely with the Home Office to obtain pragmatic solutions for clients who are cash rich but time poor. This includes helping a Tier 1 (Investor) client who was unable to satisfy the extension requirements to be granted a visa extension through the use of discretion by the Home Office.
- Helping Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) clients demonstrate the legitimacy of their applications. This visa category has an alarmingly high refusal rate and so Steven utilises his experience to help ensure applications are successful.
- Working closely with key contacts within the Home Office to help fast track sponsor licence applications where business needs require this, reducing consideration times significantly.
- Providing a tailored service for clients and key intermediaries in the Caribbean and Middle East in regards to second citizenship programmes. Whether driven by a need to help overcome visa restrictions, tax plan, or invest in the future, Steven is increasingly advising clients in respect of various second citizenship programmes.
- Working closely with a leading immigration barrister to help overturn a Home Office asylum refusal decision at appeal stage.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Qualified, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee, Charles Russell
Nottingham Law School, LPC & GDL
University of Southampton, BA History