Richard is a Partner in our Fraud and Dispute Resolution team. He is a litigator with wide ranging experience managing complex and high-value fraud and general commercial disputes in court and arbitration.
Richard specialises in seeking or defeating injunctions to protect client interests including asset freezing, search, and disclosure orders. He coordinates legal, investigative, and forensic strategy frequently in proceedings across several jurisdictions.
Richard has strong relationships with professionals in key offshore territories, including as part of Mishcon's International Fraud Group (a team of specialist foreign counsel in over 50 jurisdictions focused on securing urgent injunctions, asset-tracing and trust-busting).
Richard's experience also includes significant and high-profile corporate investigations and regulatory (FCA/SFO) cases.
Richard is a solicitor-advocate with rights of audience before all civil courts. He is qualified in England & Wales, Australia and New Zealand.
Richard is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE). The CFE qualification is recognised as the gold standard in anti-fraud training, including by the City of London Police, the FBI and the SEC. Richard is a past Board member of the UK Chapter of the Association, having led their training for prospective CFEs.
Richard has been involved in advising and acting for the following clients in disputes:
- An ultra-high net worth individual in $250 million LCIA arbitration involving a complex shareholder dispute in the IT sector involving claims in misrepresentation and duress.
- Defending a group of trading companies and UBO in a USD600 million claim brought by Trafigura involving fraud allegations across 5 jurisdictions and freezing / proprietary injunctions.
- John Varley (former CEO of Barclays Bank) in the multi-headed issues between 2012 and 2020 arising from Barclays' relationship with Qatar during the 2008 credit crunch.
- US investors in securing high-profile $60 million worldwide asset-freezing / disclosure injunctions before the courts of the Cayman Islands. The orders are in aid of major Florida fraud proceedings against Eike Batista, the former 7th richest person in the world, and Chairman of oil explorer, the OGX Group, before its collapse in 2013.
- Trustee companies in New Zealand defending asset-freezing / disclosure orders in multi-billion pound, high-profile litigation in the English High Court by Russian creditors of Sergei Pugachev.
- Private equity firm, Terra Firma, in multi-billion pound fraud litigation against Citibank arising out of its acquisition of EMI Music in 2007.
- A high net worth individual in securing discharge of injunctions obtained without notice in a US$1 billion Commercial Court fraud claim brought by Bahraini and Saudi corporates, with indemnity costs awarded to the client: Dar Al Arkan & Anor v (1) Al Refai, (2) Kroll & Ors (Comm)  EWHC 3539.
- Bank of Ireland in securing victory in a multi-million pound forged cheque scam perpetrated by fraudsters based in Germany, Switzerland and Africa, including recovery of stolen funds: Bank of Ireland v Pexxnet Ltd and Ors  EWHC 1872 (Comm).
- Bank of Ireland in securing victory in major fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims against a former senior executive and borrower, involving asset freezing and search orders: Bank of Ireland v Jaffery and Anor  EWHC 1377.
- US film financiers / producers in Commercial Court proceedings against a prominent actress, and in relation to other film financing disputes.
- Holcim Group (Lafarge / Cementia) coordinating enforcement strategy involving proceedings in Ghana, Switzerland, and Hong Kong.
- Various charities / nonprofits in fraud investigations / regulatory reporting, interacting with criminal authorities / Charities Commission etc.
- US Trustee of Bernie Madoff’s estate in a major claim against his London operating company, Madoff Securities International Limited, and its former directors.
- FTSE250 recruitment companies (including Hays International & Hydrogen Plc) in obtaining injunctions to protect from theft of commercial secrets.
- DHL International in defending a mistaken payment case against the liquidators of an Italian corporate: DHL GBS (UK) Ltd v Fallimento Finmatica SPA  EWHC 291 (Comm).
- Partners of a prominent London commercial real estate agency in defending a freezing injunction and fraud claim by JD Wetherspoon Plc.
- A director of a major London architectural practice in a multi-million pound unfair prejudice petition.
- Oil and gas clients in relation to Middle Eastern operations / regulatory investigations.
- A prominent UK celebrity in defending bankruptcy proceedings.
- American Express in complex debt recovery claims.
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, UK Chapter, Past Board Member
- Fraud Lawyers Association, Past Committee Member
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Articles and Publications