Elizabeth is a Managing Associate in the Firm's highly regarded Financial Services Investigations and Enforcement practice.
Elizabeth's practice is exclusively focussed on contentious regulatory and enforcement work, and she has significant experience advising firms and senior individuals at risk of, or under, regulatory investigation by the Financial Conduct Authority ('FCA') and Prudential Regulation Authority ('PRA') for alleged serious misconduct or rule breaches. Elizabeth has played a key role in some of the most important financial services cases of recent years and brings great experience, strategic insight and judgement. Her experience includes cases concerning complex multi-party market abuse, serious misconduct, supervisory/pre-enforcement enquiries and internal investigations. Elizabeth's skills were strengthened by a seven-month secondment to the FCA's Enforcement Division where she gained valuable insight into the FCA's approach to Enforcement and future priorities.
Elizabeth also has a range of experience representing clients faced with enquiries or investigations by other regulators, including the Solicitors Regulation Authority ('SRA') and various accountancy regulators.
Elizabeth was recognised as a Contentious Financial Services 'Rising Star' in the Legal 500 2023 and was described as "one of the best associates in the whole financial services field" and "a super-efficient associate with an excellent down to earth style".
Elizabeth is a contributor to the Global Investigations Review Guide to Compliance in respect of FCA's approach to compliance failures, a regular contributor to the Firm's Enforcement Watch Blog and, more recently, a panellist on topics such as non-financial misconduct.
Whilst many of the cases Elizabeth has worked on have been the subject of comment and speculation in the national press, much of this work is confidential. For this reason, we are only able to provide limited details of some of the cases Elizabeth has been involved in recent years.
- Acting for one of the senior HBOS managers in the recent FCA/PRA investigation, which concluded after six years with the regulators taking no action against our client.
- In the 4-week Upper Tribunal proceedings, acting for one of the senior Swiss managers being pursued by the FCA in relation to matters regarding Julius Baer.
- Representing a former head of desk at a major international bank in respect of a long-running multi-party FCA market abuse investigation and subsequent referral to the Upper Tribunal.
- Advising a high-cost short-term lender on FCA Supervision enquiries concerning forbearance procedures.
- Advised an unregulated introducer under FCA Enforcement investigation for allegations of breaching the general prohibition and unauthorised financial promotions.
- Acted for an individual under FCA investigation for matters concerning personal account dealing.
- Advised an FCA certified person on matters concerning fitness and propriety and disclosure obligations.
- Represented individuals in FCA interviews under caution in relation to potential insider dealing/market abuse.
- Advised an IFA firm in relation to FOS complaints and FCA Supervision enquiries relating to unsuitable advice regarding pensions.
- Assisted a PLC to respond to an onerous FCA compelled information re regarding various alleged regulatory breaches.
- As part of an internal investigation, represented a senior individual in relation to the alleged payment of bribes.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Irwin Mitchell
Qualified, Irwin Mitchell
College of Law, Legal Practice Course
Northumbria University, Graduate Diploma in Law
University of Dundee, English & Scottish Literature
Articles and Publications
UK Compliance Requirements, September 2022, GlR: The Guide to Compliance