Amanda Gray is a Partner in Mishcon Private, specialising in Art Law and the related field of Luxury Assets and is Practice Lead for the Art Law team. She is valued by her clients for her commercial, flexible approach and depth of knowledge across a diverse range of legal problems faced by those operating within the art market and luxury assets fields.
In addition to her Art Law practice, Amanda, as a long standing private client lawyer, has been able to bring her experience of dealing with sensitive personal situations to assisting bereaved families with inquests and advising clients on a range of medical negligence issues and loss of mental capacity.
In the Art Law and Luxury assets field she assists clients, including collectors, dealers, auction houses, artists, public and private institutions and foundations, with a broad range of contentious and non-contentious issues. These include sale and purchase agreements, art and antique collection management, loan and agency agreements, artists' resale rights regulations, special projects, bringing new discoveries to the market place and advising the art market on anti-money laundering regulations.
Her specialist contentious work includes looted and Holocaust art claims, authentication and title claims, and advice on disputes arising out of breaches of contract, negligence and misrepresentation.
As a leading member of our multi-disciplinary Luxury Assets Group, Amanda provides advice to clients on luxury assets including classic cars, bloodstock and jewellery, each with nuances individual to their respective fields.
Amanda is the pro-bono General Counsel for Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft, Sussex which houses the permanent collection of works by Eric Gill and the Ditchling Guild.
- Assisting an international client with a dispute arising from the importation of Russian icons into the UK
- Advising a church council on the discovery of a 16th century lost masterwork by Quentin Massys
- Advising an art dealer on a Holocaust looted art claim by an individual on an Old Master
- Advising an heir seeking restitution of a Holocaust looted artwork from a public institution in the UK
- Advising a collector on the importation, attribution and potential resale of an antique coin collection within the UK
- Facilitating an art foundation on the recovery of stolen artworks
- Defending a contemporary art collector faced with criminal investigation in respect of their collection
- Advising consignors on a multi-jurisdictional dispute and stakeholder claim involving an auction house over the ownership of an art collection
- Advising an artist manager on a contractual dispute with one of their artists
- Advising a property company on the acquisition of artworks as part of a multi-million pound property transaction
- Advising a company on negligence claims arising from the acquisition of art made by an art fund
- Advising a consignor on a dispute over warranties following a sale of a 19th century artwork at auction
- Advising a client on a dispute arising from the renovation of a classic car
- Advising a purchaser on title and attribution issues following the acquisition of a classic car at auction,  EWHC 3257 (Comm)
- Assisting an international client with the importation of horses into the United Kingdom
- Assisting clients with part-ownership arrangements of a high value international dressage horse
- Advising a client on a dispute with a number of auction houses on the authenticity and condition of jewellery purchased
Court of Protection
- Acting for members of a high profile family in a complex Court of Protection matter responding to an injunction involving deprivation of liberty
- Acting for a number of bereaved families regarding the death of a child, the suicide of a family member, an accidental death and death following surgery
- Happening Media, "Investing Wisely in 2018 – Five Tips from the Legal Experts", February 2018
- Future Cities Forum blog, February 2018
- Citywealth, "We are advising on Fakes and Forgeries" , July 2015
- RICS Property Journal, "Taking on the New Frontier", Sept/Oct 2014
- RICS Property Journal, "Protecting your image", November 2014
Recent speaking engagements/conferences:
- Speaker at Christie's Art Business course, "Authenticating Art in the Digital Age", May 2018
- Christie's Education students, London, "Introduction to Art Law", March 2018
- Royal Academy workshop, "Managing the Artist’s Legacy: Planning for the Future", London, March 2018
- Speaker at "Art, Investment and Cities" Forum, London, January 2018
- ESCP Executive Specialised Master's Programme, "International Wealth Management – Art: Legal & Tax", London, December 2017
- Royal Academy Professional Practice, "Entering the Art Market: Avoiding the Pitfalls-Business, Contract and Intellectual Property", London, December 2017
- York University Art and Law students, London, "Introduction to Art Law", October 2017