Peter is a Partner in Mishcon Private. He has a wealth of experience in a wide spectrum of private client disputes, including trust disputes and shareholder disputes. Peter acts predominantly for trustees, beneficiaries, protectors, third parties with claims against trustees, shareholders, and companies defending claims brought by shareholders. His work is frequently international and, amongst other jurisdictions, he has recently been involved in high value cases in Bermuda, the BVI, Jersey, Guernsey, Liechtenstein, Malta, New Zealand and Switzerland.
Prior to joining Mishcon de Reya, Peter practised at Farrer & Co in London and Mourant Ozannes in Jersey. In addition to being admitted in England, Peter is also qualified in California and Ireland. He is a member of the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
He has been described in Legal 500 as "approachable, with an excellent understanding of trust law, complex family structures and the intricacies of offshore jurisdictions" and in Chambers & Partners as "a real class act". Peter co-edited the second edition of the course notes for the STEP Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes. He is a regular speaker at conferences in relation to trusts law matters.
Peter sits on the board of trustees of Peace Child International.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Senior Associate, Farrer & Co
Associate, Mourant Ozannes
Trainee Solicitor, Penningtons Manches
Articles and Publications
'You Will or UWOn’t: Trustees’ Compliance with Unexplained Wealth Orders', Trusts & Trustees, Oxford University Press, April 2019
'Privacy, open justice and the turning tide', Trusts & Trustees, Oxford University Press, December 2018
- 'Balancing Act', STEP Journal, May 2017
- 'Finding a way', Family Law Journal, December 2016/January 2017
- 'Unauthorised access', Trusts and Estates Law & Tax Journal, October 2016
- Co-editor of second edition of STEP’s Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes (2014)
- ‘It’s a real privilege: common interests in trust disputes’, Trusts & Trustees, Oxford University Press, Vol 19, No 1, Jan 2013
- ‘The Chinese Trust’, Trusts & Trustees, Oxford University Press, Vol 18, No 1, Jan 2012
- ‘Recognition and enforcement of orders of the Family Division against offshore trustees’, Trusts & Trustees, Oxford University Press, Vol 17, No 4, May 2011
- ‘Directions for disclosure by beneficiaries’, Trusts & Trustees, Oxford University Press, Vol 16, No 9, October 2010
- ‘Significant decisions in recent Jersey trust cases’, STEP Journal, November 2008
- ‘Litigation Costs of a Neutral Trustee’, Trusts and Trustees, Oxford University Press, Volume 14, Number 6, July 2008
- ‘Costs of a Neutral Trustee: Developments in Jersey’, Trusts Quarterly Review, Vol 5, Issue 3, 2007