Mike is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution department. He is an expert in Corporate Recovery and Insolvency. Acting for office holders, lenders or companies in difficulty his practice covers business rescue and reconstruction; business and asset disposals and acquisitions; international tracing and recovery of assets; insolvency and recovery litigation; compliance; professional issues; and advice on the conduct of estates.
He is a member of R3 (the Association of Business Recovery Professionals), the Insolvency Practitioners Association and the American Bankruptcy Institute. He is a licensed Insolvency practitioner. He is also co-author of Insolvency Procedures Notes (Sweet & Maxwell) and various published articles. Mike regularly lectures professional and trade groups in recovery related topics from credit control to asset stripping to fraud tracing and on the corporate side of recovery in topics such as defensive merger, reconstruction or offensive distressed purchase or takeover.
Mike also acts as a trusted advisor for a wide range of corporate and personal clients, having spent 20 years working in the City. He provides project management and commercial advice to these clients as well as brokering introductions and opportunities between clients and contacts, both in the UK and internationally, particularly in North America, the Middle East, South Asia and China.
- Advising the Government of Iceland and the Icelandic Parliament with regard to Icesave.
- Advising Sports Direct plc, Mike Ashley and Newcastle United FC in various (non insolvency) issues.
- Acting for BCR Group of Companies and Begbies Traynor as administrators of part including in maters in relation to the FSA.
- Advising company directors, brokers and professionals in numerous financial businesses in respect of solvency requirements, reporting and regulatory issues including potential civil and criminal penalties and restructuring issues.
- Advising partners of Smith & Williamson regarding the restructuring of parts of Lloyds including in relation to the formation of Equitas.
- Advising partners of Smith & Williamson as liquidators of Maxwell Communications International Ltd and Maxwell Finance Jersey Ltd (bondwashing schemes; achieving surplus recoveries to creditors) and in the liquidation of HS Weavers (KWELM).
- Advising partners of Deloitte Touche as liquidators and receivers of Adviser 118 Ltd and First Tokyo Index Trust Limited(Maxwell; SBC exposure) including in respect of international investigation and proceedings relating to a number of merchant banks, brokers and professionals.
- Advising partners of Moore Stephens in respect of the Court receivership of "Inner Sanctum" a major pyramid scheme, in conjunction with the DTI, Bank of England and SFO.
- Advising Nigel Hamilton of Vantis plc in respect of sensitive financial services matters in the course of the liquidation of Berry Birch & Noble.
- Advice to both UK and US Office Holders, banks, corporations and professionals in respect of cross border insolvency issues relating to Chapter 11, Chapter 7 and cross border insolvency proceedings.
- Acting for Vantis plc on Airship Technology Group administration and litigation matters.
- Acting for PKF on the administration of Laminate Flooring Ltd.
- Acting for various professional practices in regulatory enquiries and proceedings with recognised professional bodies.
- Acting for Ernst & Young and Bank of America on receivership of Demaglass Limited.
- Acting for Middleton Partners on the APW Group of Companies.
- Acting for the administrator of Polly Peck International.
- Acting for RBS and PKF in the administration of the Kyrris Partnership.
- Acting for Vantis plc on Young Ridgeway Associates liquidation.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Beachcroft LLP
Partner, Lawrence Graham
Partner, Alsop Wilkinson / DLA
Mike was educated at Ackworth School (Quaker) in Yorkshire and subsequently the LSE, where he remains active in alumni matters. Before qualifying as a solicitor, Mike was an entertainment promoter and also travelled widely. His interests are international affairs and economics, rock music, cookery and his family.