Mike is a Partner in the Dispute Resolution department at Mishcon de Reya. He is an expert in Corporate Recovery and Insolvency. Acting for office holders, lenders or companies in difficulty, his practice covers business rescue and reconstruction; business and asset disposals and acquisitions; international tracing and recovery of assets; insolvency and recovery litigation; compliance and professional issues.
He is a member of R3 (the Association of Business Recovery Professionals) and the American Bankruptcy Institute. He is also a licensed Insolvency practitioner. He is the co-author of Insolvency Procedures Notes (Sweet & Maxwell) and various published articles. Mike regularly lectures professional and trade groups in recovery related topics including risk, asset stripping, fraud tracing, defensive merger, reconstruction, distressed purchase or takeover.
Mike also acts as a problem solver and trusted advisor for a wide range of corporate and private clients. He provides project management and commercial advice to these clients as well as brokering opportunities between clients and contacts.
- Advising the administrators of London Capital Finance and associated companies.
- A very public scandal; and a very deep investigation.
- Advising the administrators of Force India Formula One Ltd including the sale to Racing Point now Aston Martin.
- Advising the administrators of the Caterham Formula One companies
- Advising Allseas S.A. and the liquidator of Equity Trading Ltd in wide reaching international investigations, proceedings arising including a substantial (and successful) private prosecution.
- Conflict lawyer representing the administrators of the Park First companies.
- Advising the Government of Iceland and subsequently the Icelandic Parliament with regard to the Icesave crisis.
- Advising company directors, brokers and professionals in numerous financial businesses in respect of solvency requirements, reporting and regulatory issues including civil, criminal and restructuring and restitutional.
- Advising in the restructuring of parts of Lloyds of London including the formation of Equitas.
- Advising partners of Smith & Williamson as liquidators of Maxwell Communications International Ltd and Maxwell Finance Jersey Ltd (bondwashing schemes)
- Advising the liquidators of HS Weavers (KWELM).
- Advising partners of Deloitte as liquidators and receivers of Adviser 118 and First Tokyo Index Trust (also Maxwell companies; SBC exposure) including international investigation and proceedings arising.
- Advising the Court Appointed Receivers of "Inner Sanctum" one of the first modern pyramid schemes, in conjunction with the DTI, Bank of England and SFO.
- Advice to both UK and US Office Holders, banks, corporations and professionals in respect of cross border insolvency issues relating to Chapter 11, Chapter 7 and cross border insolvency proceedings.
- Acting for various professional practices and other stakeholders in regulatory enquiries and proceedings with recognised professional bodies and investigations arising in the financial services industry.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Beachcroft LLP
Partner, Lawrence Graham
Partner, Alsop Wilkinson / DLA
Mike was educated at Ackworth School (Quaker) in Yorkshire and subsequently the LSE, where he remains active in alumni matters. Before qualifying as a solicitor, Mike was a rock promoter and also travelled widely. His interests are international affairs, economics, music, cookery and his family.