James is a Managing Associate in the Family department.
James advises clients in all aspects of financial remedies, including high value financial disputes with complex financial issues and jurisdictional disputes. He has also worked on cases with elements of non-disclosure, insolvency and alleged sham transactions. In addition James deals with pre-nuptial, post-nuptial, cohabitation, separation and civil partnership agreements.
James has acted for a number of high net worth and high-profile individuals including a Middle Eastern politician, the wife of a Russian oligarch, a leading Queen’s Counsel and a member of one of the UK’s wealthiest noble families.
James has extensive experience of private law children matters, including applications for leave to remove children from and within the jurisdiction. He has a particular interest in cases involving allegations of parental alienation.
He is a member of Resolution, an organisation which believes in a constructive, non-confrontational approach to family law matters and campaigns for improvements to the family justice system.
- Tchenguiz-Imerman v Imerman 
- Mohan v Mohan 
- Arif v Anwar 
- Rapp v Sarre 
- AG v VD 
- AG v VD 
Other Key Experience
- Acting for a member of one of the UK’s wealthiest noble families in financial remedy proceedings.
- Representing a UHNW Middle Eastern businessperson in financial remedy proceedings and Children Act proceedings.
- Acting for an UHNW Middle Eastern politician in Part III proceedings following a marriage and divorce in the parties’ native country in the Middle East.
- Acting for a businessman in highly contentious Children Act proceedings where there were ongoing issues regarding children arrangements and elements of parental alienation.
- Acting for a City financier with complex financial structures and significant disputes over the value of his business and future earning potential. There were parallel Children Act proceedings where there were ongoing issues regarding children arrangements and elements of potential parental alienation.
- Advising a leading QC and negotiating a comprehensive financial settlement on his behalf.
- Successfully representing a husband seeking to challenge the jurisdiction of the English Court in divorce proceedings. The wife’s petition was dismissed by the High Court.
- Acting for a businessman in financial remedy proceedings where the bulk of the assets were held offshore in Liechtenstein.
- Acting for the wife of a Russian oligarch in financial remedy proceedings which concluded in a 10-day Final hearing in the High Court.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Hughes Fowler Carruthers
University of Wales: Aberystwyth, BS Econ International History & Politics