Ben is a Partner in the Competition group in the Innovation department.
He specialises in competition litigation, commercial litigation, international arbitration and other dispute resolution procedures, and has a wealth of experience acting for major multinational businesses across a broad range of sectors. He is particularly experienced in advising clients on third party funding arrangements and how to manage the financial risks of litigation.
Ben is one of the founding members of The European Circle for Competition Damages, a co-operation network of leading professionals specialised in the private enforcement of competition law in Europe.
Amongst his roles prior to joining the Firm, he led the Competition Litigation practice at Pinsent Masons. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Ben was a professional solo cellist, chamber musician and teacher.
- Advising Asda, Curry's, Iceland, John Lewis, Sainsbury's, John Lewis and Wilko in relation to claims against the European Trucks Cartelists in the English High Court.
- Acting for the representative claimant in an opt-out representative action in the English High Court on behalf of 1.6million individuals against Google and Deepmind Technologies regarding the misuse of private information.
- Advising an online gambling business in respect of an abuse of dominance claim against Meta Platforms Inc (formerly Facebook Inc), involving proceedings in Ireland.
- Advising the administrators of certain UK high street retailers in respect of competition damages actions arising out of multilateral interchange fees imposed by Visa and MasterCard.
- Advising a major international airline in relation to the multi-jurisdictional antitrust investigation into air cargo surcharges.
- Acting for a major European investment bank in connection with disputes arising under certain structured finance products involving proceedings in London and New York in excess of US$1billion.
- Acting for AAR (Alfa-Access-Renova) in its dispute with BP over the oil major’s attempt to form a US$16billion strategic alliance with Rosneft for the exploration of oil in the Arctic Circle.
- Acting for a high net worth individual against multiple defendants in relation to email hacking (obtaining multiple third-party disclosure orders and search and seizure orders to secure evidence).