Philip is a Consultant in the Real Estate department and is a former Chairman of Mishcon de Reya. He is an acknowledged industry expert on many aspects of property investment and development.
His clients are property developers, investors, funders and corporate occupiers. In 2005, Philip was awarded a CBE for his services to property law and in 2009 he enjoyed the rare honour of being appointed a Queen’s Counsel Honoris Causa for his work developing the practical aspects of property law.
Philip is a senior member of numerous key property bodies. He chairs the industry-wide committee responsible for producing the Code for Leasing Business Premises, which the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors has recently adopted as compulsory professional practice for chartered surveyors. He is a member of the Law Society's Land Law and Conveyancing Committee, the editorial board of the Law Society's Conveyancing Handbook and the working parties responsible for producing the Standard Conditions of Sale and the Standard Commercial Property Conditions.
In addition, Philip has been a member of advisory committees assisting H.M. Land Registry, the Law Commission and the Government on many aspects of real estate law and practice, and is currently involved in their projects on enfranchisement, the home buying process and the registration of overseas ownership of UK property. He was also the lead draftsman of the RICS PACT scheme and is lead author of Lexis Nexis' Service Charges: Law and Practice, now in its sixth edition.
Consultant, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Chairman, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner, Mishcon de Reya
Partner, Victor Mishcon & Co
Qualified, Victor Mishcon & Co
Articles and Publications
Philip is an author and lecturer on land law. His publications include:
- Business Lease Renewals (EG Books).
- Handbook of Dilapidations (Sweet & Maxwell).
- Service Charges: Law and Practice (Jordans).
- Commercial Lease Renewals (Macmillan).
- Law Society Business Leases, a Draftsman Guide (Jordans).
- Checklist for Commercial Lettings (HS Publications).
- Interpreting and Enforcing Commercial Leases (Jordans).
- Stamp Duty Land Tax: a practical guide for lawyers (second edition) co-authored with Ann L Humphrey (Spiramus).
- Chairs the editorial board of the Law Society's Conveyancing Handbook.