Michelle is a Legal Assistant in Mishcon Private. She joined the Art Law team in 2010 and works on a wide range of both non-contentious and contentious art related matters for galleries, auction houses, artists, collectors, foundations and other public and private institutions.
Michelle worked in the art world in the UK for 10 years, including time at a Bond Street gallery, the Royal Collection and Historic Royal Palaces, before studying law. She brings a wealth of hands-on practical art-related experience to the Art Law team.
Michelle specialises in commercial transactions of art works, particularly in relation to sales, purchases and related agreements, such as agency, consignment, and terms and conditions. She also provides advice to galleries and art market participants on anti-money laundering regulations.
- Advising on the private sale of three modern masterpieces, including drafting the sale and purchase agreements
- Representing an artist in relation to a cross-jurisdictional commission of an artwork by a charitable foundation and conducting negotiations between the parties
- Advising on the set up of a contemporary art fair
- Drafting the terms and conditions for an online platform for third party sales of artworks
- Advising an international gallery in relation to a cross-jurisdictional issue regarding ownership
- Representing an international gallery in a dispute with an auction house regarding export issues
- Advising a collector selling artworks on non-payment by the purchase
Legal Assistant, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Paralegal/Personal Assistant, Mishcon de Reya
BPP Law School