Mariel is a Managing Associate in the Private Wealth Disputes Team in the Private department.
She advises on disputes concerning succession matters, high value trusts and estates, including those with assets held in multiple jurisdictions, and has represented trustees, executors/administrators, and beneficiaries. Mariel has experience of a range of issues that can arise when trusts and estates become contested. This includes claims by disinherited spouses and family members under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, as well as disputes about less common issues such as invalid wills and claims based on a lack of testamentary capacity.
Additionally, Mariel has experience advising on contractual disputes, including director and shareholder disputes, commercial contracts, and private contracts.
Mariel is a member of ConTrA (the Contentious Trusts Association) and a member of ACTAPS.
She has also contributed articles to the Trusts & Trustees Journal and the Law Society's Private Client Magazine, and has provided answers for LexisNexis Private Client PSL Q&As.
- Acted for the ultimate administrator of an estate whereby the deceased – shortly before dying of end-stage dementia – had been approached in a care home by a conman, who had forged a Will and Power of Attorney, and had gone on to take out a Grant of Probate and attempt to strip the estate of all assets. This attempt was cut short, with the conman's Grant of Probate revoked, the transfer of a valuable London property prevented, and the rightful administrator put in place to administer the estate on behalf of the family.
- Acted for a beneficiary of an UHNW multi-jurisdictional trust in proceedings brought in New Zealand by the trustee due to unprecedented geo-political circumstances.
- Acted for a high profile client in respect of a dispute with a family member over the nature of a significant payment of tens of millions of pounds made in connection with a UK property purchase.
- Acted for an executor/trustee of a high-value estate with assets around the world, with proceedings starting in England, before then being brought in Russia.
- Acted for an aristocratic client of a prominent landed estate, in various aspects of a dispute involving the client's (and wider family's) trusts and the client's own succession issues including the passing of aristocratic title to the next generation.
- Acted for a HNW beneficiary of a Guernsey trust, successfully removing the trustee, before assisting the new trustee in making enquiries as to specific transactions which required investigation.
Articles and Publications
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya
Trainee Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
University of York, English Literature and Politics (BA Hons)
BPP Law School London, GDL and LPC