Isabel Emerson-Lich is a Managing Associate in the firm's Property Litigation Team in the Real Estate Department.
Isabel advises on disputes relating to commercial and residential property, including dilapidations, break clauses, lease renewals (opposed and unopposed), service charge disputes, forfeiture, rent review, possession proceedings and insolvency matters.
Isabel has significant trial experience. She has acted for the successful defendant property owner in a complex 5 day proprietary estoppel dispute, as well as for a tenant in 3 day opposed lease renewal trial in which the landlord sought to rely on redevelopment grounds. The latter case concerned the first application of the 'conditional intention' test developed by the Supreme Court in S Franses Ltd v The Cavendish Hotel (London) Limited at County Court level.
Isabel has particular experience in dealing with electronic telecommunications disputes and has in the past enhanced her experience by undertaking a secondment at a UK based telecoms joint venture.
Isabel is a member of the Property Litigation Association's Website and Marketing Committee for which she liaises with various Chambers to obtain interesting content for the Association's website, as well as working on the Association's public relations strategy.
- Acting for a claimant tenant in opposed lease renewal proceedings, which involved the first application of the new Franses 'conditional intention' test at County Court level.
- Successfully acting for a defendant property owner in a complex proprietary estoppel dispute.
- Advising several major property investment, regeneration, and development companies on and preparation of documentation for interim and final possession claims both in the High Court and County Court.
- Advising on a broad range of telecoms disputes, including in a redevelopment context.
- Acting for defendants in a multi-million-pound claim concerning misrepresentation and breach of contract, which concluded in a favourable settlement.
- Advising major insurance company on issuing judicial review application in connection with a hoarding licence preventing a large scale mixed use development.
- Advising property investment fund on a dispute with a well-known restaurant chain attempting to avoid their obligations pursuant to an agreement for lease.
- Advising one of the UK’s leading social landlords on defending an application to register an easement on the client’s land.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Gowling WLG (UK) LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Gowling WLG (UK) LLP (formerly Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co LLP)
University of Law, LLM LPC (Commendation)
University of Surrey, LLB Law with German Law (First Class Honours)
Articles and publications
- Estates Gazette – "Happy birthday to the Telecoms Code" – January 2023
- Estates Gazette – "Franses Test goes under the spotlight" – September 2019
- Solicitors Journal – "A matter of intention" – September 2019