Charlie's main practice areas are: UK and international tax, including UK-US tax planning; trusts; asset protection structuring; and lifetime planning for high-net and ultra-high net worth individuals, families and their trustees. Charlie frequently advises clients on their residence and domicile status, and advises on effective tax planning.
He has been described as someone who offers 'high quality reliable advice, excellent client manner - a joy to work with', and who has 'a clear understanding of tax issues arising for private clients and identifies practical solutions'. He has further been described and as 'an excellent lawyer who commands the respect of everyone he interacts with and acts for who is ahead of his years in terms of expertise, ability and maturity who will excel to become one of the leading lights in the world of the private client lawyer'.
Charlie is a member of Mishcon de Reya's multi-disciplinary Luxury Assets Group, which advises individuals and businesses on the buying, selling, structuring and protection of luxury assets including art, cars and other high-value collectables across the globe.
In 2014 Charlie passed with distinction the STEP Advanced Certificate in UK Tax for International Clients.
He was named in eprivateclient's list of the Top 35 private client practitioners under 35 in 2012 and 2014.
- Providing ongoing support and advice to the family office of a multi-national ultra-high net worth family on their UK tax and structuring. The family are based across four jurisdictions (including the UK) with assets and businesses across eleven jurisdictions.
- Advising a Chinese billionaire property developer on his UK tax and estate planning including how to structure the purchase and ownership of a very high value UK residential property.
- Advising the trustee of an offshore "excluded property" trust, with a very substantial UK property portfolio, in relation to trust restructuring. The restructuring is a consequence of a breakdown in relations between the two principal beneficiaries, requiring the segregation of their respective interests.
- Detailed tax and structuring advice to an ultra-high net worth non-UK resident and domiciled family, their family office and companies covering the UK, Monaco, Switzerland, France, Cyprus, Luxembourg and Bermuda.
- Advising a non-UK resident and non-UK domiciled CIS family, their trust companies and family office on the creation of offshore asset protection structures.
- Relocation advice to an ultra-high net worth family covering over fifteen jurisdictions.
- Advising an ultra-high net worth family on the separation of their family assets including cross-family loans and minority shareholding in companies in numerous jurisdictions held by offshore trusts.
- Advising a Middle Eastern ultra-high net worth individual on offshore structuring for the purchase and development of land in the Middle East.
- Advising individuals on their residence and domicile status and how relocating would affect their exposure to UK tax.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Solicitor, Berkeley Law Ltd
Solicitor, Lawrence Graham LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Lawrence Graham LLP
King's College London, Law LLB