Simon is an Managing Associate in the Mishcon Private department.
He has experience in acting for a wide variety of clients ranging from companies to high net worth individuals to charities, across a wide range of domestic and international commercial disputes. Simon has a particular interest in art and cultural property law and, as a member of the Art Law team, advises galleries, auction houses, artists, collectors, foundations and other public and private institutions on non-contentious and contentious art related matters.
Before starting his carrier in law, Simon worked for an Italian commercial art dealership in Mayfair and Milan for seven years. This experience, and his understanding of the market, has proved invaluable when working with individuals, galleries and institutions on both contentious and non-contentious art matters.
Simon has previously been recognised in Legal 500’s 2020 Art and Cultural Property directory as being a Rising Star and in Chambers & Partners HNW 2020 as an Associate to Watch.
- Representing underwriters in a multi-million pound dispute arising from a fraudulent insurance claim by a Dutch Old Master dealer following the staged theft of artworks from gallery in the late 1980s.
- Acting for a family trust company in a multi-jurisdictional title dispute against beneficiary, and securing the return or market value payments in lieu of the return, of over 300 Impressionist and Modern artworks.
- Advising trustees of deceased's estate in respect of Roman-era relief suspected of being looted prior to deceased's purchase and coordinating the restitution of the same to the Italian State, without any liability to the trustees.
- Defending London based art dealer in claim brought by co-owner of two Old Master paintings concerning alleged breach of contract and duties as a partner, inter alia, to act in good faith, to render true and accurate account and not to earn any secret profits.
- Acting for family trust company in LCIA arbitration commenced by beneficiary relating sale of Impressionist masterpiece and counterclaim for declaration concerning rightful ownership of artwork.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a variety of sale and purchase, consignment and agency agreements for individuals, artists and galleries, and drafting and updating precedent set of agreements for firm.
- Advising a Cypriot holding company in fraud proceedings issued in London and Cyprus against a former directors and associated companies, obtaining a default judgment against the Defendants for the sum of £5 million and charging order over London property.
- Acting for Italian based property owner in securing the release of properties that were subject to a freezing injunction obtained against the nominee holder of the properties in fraud proceedings.
- Acting for Respondent in multiple consolidated LCIA arbitration proceedings commenced by minority shareholder, relating to various alleged breaches of shareholder agreement and fraud in connection with Czech rail casting foundry.
- Representing leading London based international orchestra in ad-hoc arbitration proceedings against Hong Kong promoter, following non-payment of fees owed under performance agreement and advising on enforcement of award.