Martin is a Partner in Mishcon Private who, having lived and worked in the Middle East for many years, is a regular visitor to the region and deals with a wide range of matters for leading Middle East and other international clients. An experienced international business lawyer, Martin advises leading families and their companies on all aspects of international private capital including substantial real estate and hotel transactions and high profile dispute resolution.
He advises on inward investment to the UK and globally on behalf of family offices in London and other European countries. He also assists UK, US and other corporate clients on trade and investments between Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the wider Gulf and North America in particular. Martin is accustomed to handling highly sensitive cases and transactions and has considerable experience in the co-ordination of multi-disciplinary teams within the firm and often involving external firms in multiple jurisdictions.
He is a founder member of the Saudi British Joint Business Council (SBJBC), a founder member of the Saudi-British Society and is also a longstanding member of the Middle East Association and the International Bar Association. Martin was also co-founder and is a former elected Chairman of a global legal network which he helped grow to over 100 firms and he maintains strong relationships with many more non-aligned independent firms worldwide.
Martin is actively involved in promoting UK companies in international trade and is a founder Trustee and Director of one of HRH The Duke of York's charities, The Duke of York's Community Initiative.
- Advising a Middle East UHNWI royal family in respect of their very substantial inherited assets throughout Europe (including the UK), reviewing the historical corporate and tax structures for in excess of 50 group companies and advising on an updated structure, family succession and family constitution.
- Advising a North American entrepreneur and his consortium involving the setting up of an aircraft manufacturing and licensing joint venture involving 6 jurisdictions, including the UK and China. Also advising the same client in respect of financing and strategy for other projects in the financial services and media sectors.
- Advising a senior member of a prominent Middle East family in respect of substantial claims and threatened claims of a highly sensitive nature made by a private individual; co-ordinating the legal team, including in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
- Advising initially on a $1.4 billion refinancing of iconic Hotels in multiple jurisdictions and thereafter acting in the proposed purchase of the Hotels.
- Advising a Middle East based entrepreneur in respect of substantial cross border IP litigation, corporate set up and a related IPO in the UK and separately in respect of project financing for manufacturing facilities.
- Advising a US law firm and its multi-national corporate client on set-up and inward investment in the UK and related joint ventures and licensing in Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
- Advising a Saudi Arabian entrepreneur on the establishment of a global luxury fashion brand including start-up and shareholder documentation, tax and corporate structures, IP protection and licensing and operational requirements relating to Premises, Employment and Franchising.
- Advising a prominent Middle East family in respect of UK assets falling into the estate of a deceased family member on intestacy with potential for substantial IHT liability and negotiating a post-death variation between family members and HMRC to mitigate the tax liability.
- Advising a major Chinese developer on the construction of two apartment blocks and a related hotel in London and the off-plan sales of the individual units.
Partner, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Partner (London, Riyadh & Qatar), Clyde & Co LLP
Partner & Head of International, Howard Kennedy
Founder & Chairman, Lawyers Associated Worldwide
Partner (London, Riyadh & Washington D.C.), Niche Mayfair Firm
King's College London, College of Law