Emma is a litigator in Mishcon Private. She specialises in defamation, breach of confidence, invasion of privacy, harassment and injunctions. She advises individuals, companies and charities on reputation management issues, often in the context of wider disputes and in times of crisis. She is well-versed in new media and Internet-related issues. She provides claimants and defendants with pre- and post-publication advice, often on an urgent basis. She advises on complaints to the Press Complaints Commission and to the Advertising Standards Authority, and deals with issues arising under the Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
Emma takes a pragmatic approach to problem solving, and provides decisive, commercial advice. She has broad experience of commercial litigation in the High Court and the Court of Appeal, often acting for international clients in complex disputes. She also has experience working with charities, providing strategic focus to their campaigns and their dealings with government.
Emma was short listed for the 2009 Women Of The Future Awards in the Professions category, and invited to join the Inspirational Women's Network, supported by Real Business. She has since been included in Management Today's 2011 35 Women Under 35. Emma co-ordinates the Firm's sponsorship of Pink Law, which was highly commended in the Best New Pro Bono Activity category of the LawWorks and Attorney General Students Awards 2009. She is on the steering committee of the GWN.
• Obtaining urgent High Court injunctions to prevent the misuse of private information, including in the context of blackmail threats and harassment
• Pre-publication advice to specialist business publications, managing the risk that sensitive content may be challenged
• Acting on a number of individuals who are pursuing claims relating to phone hacking
• Regularly challenging content published online and obtaining disclosure from international webhosts and internet service providers in order to identify their anonymous authors
• Advising a leading national professional services firm in relation to defamatory statements made by a competitor to several of its mutual clients, which statements were repeated on blogs and online discussion forums
• Preventing the publication of false rumors about a world-renowned sports person, which would have had a detrimental impact on their brand
• Advising a national religious forum in relation to defamatory statements made about it on the internet and anticipated in a forthcoming book
• Acting for a high-ranking police officer in relation to defamatory allegations made against him in the national press and online
• Advising an international bank in respect of a US$5m fraudulent misrepresentation claim against another financial institution and one of its directors
|Associate, Mishcon de Reya
|Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
|Solicitor, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
|Qualified, Clifford Chance LLP
|Trainee, Clifford Chance LLP |
|Jesus College, Cambridge. Law MA (Hons)