Our Funds team advises our private equity and real estate clients on the entire fundraising process, including marketing their funds to investors, setting market-standard commercial terms of the fund, agreeing documents with investors and closing the fund. The team works closely with tax colleagues to design structures based in jurisdictions such as Jersey, Cayman Islands and Luxembourg as well as the UK that are suitable for the asset class and investment strategy as well as the investor base, while keeping the structures as simple as possible to operate.
We assist institutional and boutique fund managers in private equity and real estate with specialist strategies for growth capital, venture capital, credit, and raising for buy-and-build platforms. We act for managers whether they are raising a discretionary fund, spinning out of an existing institution or raising a series of co-investment funds. We also assist institutions and Mishcon family office clients with their fund investment and co-investment programmes.
Our financial services experience is broad, helping unregulated entities and individuals understand whether they need to become FCA authorised, advising on the marketing of financial products, appointed representative arrangements, interpretation of the FCA Rules and Guidance and guiding clients through complex UK anti-money laundering and proceeds of crime legislation. We also regularly advise on the consumer credit regime and regulated mortgages. We advise our fund clients, helping them to navigate the UK regulatory implications of their fund structures, marketing rules and their obligations under the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive and the EuVECA regime.
- Fund structuring and establishment, including regulatory and tax advice
- AIFMD and EuVECA guidance
- Marketing of funds
- Structuring and formation of the manager/adviser
- Disputes over carried interest
- Ongoing regulatory advice
- Funds due diligence
- Perimeter guidance: whether proposed or existing activities require FCA authorisation
- Interpretation of FCA rules and guidance on FSMA legislation
- Appointed representative arrangements
- Change of control
- Appointment & removal of FCA approved persons
- Collective investment schemes
- Financial promotion/marketing of financial products
- Advising fund managers on AIFMD and other relevant regulations
- Anti-money laundering/proceeds of crime
- Consumer credit