Nerys is a Managing Associate in Mishcon Private specialising in immigration. Nerys has over 10 years' experience specialising in advising on immigration within the education sector, on both student and staff compliance.
Nerys provides full service immigration advice within the education sector, including sponsor licence compliance; preparation and attendance at UKVI inspections; challenges to Home Office decisions (including administrative review, judicial review and appeals against civil penalty); cross border global mobility; prevention of illegal working; the Global Talent route and the Graduate route.
Nerys has a particular specialism in student immigration and is experienced in advising on all areas of Tier 4/student compliance. Nerys has a national reputation for advising education institutions on UKVI audits, regularly providing preparation sessions, training, and mock audits; providing advice on policy and strategy; undertaking compliance projects; and providing an outsource service for sponsor licences. Nerys regularly works alongside in-house legal teams, and HR & compliance professionals in developing and retaining an institutions UKVI compliance.
Nerys is also an employment lawyer having begun her career in employment law before transitioning to cross practice in immigration and employment. As a result of this unique mix, Nerys is able to provide clients with one overall picture, incorporating both immigration and employment law aspects. Clients have found it particularly helpful when seeking advice on claims in respect of right to work, changes to terms and conditions and global mobility
- Undertaking mock UKVI audits (students & staff), providing audit reports, action planning and preparing pragmatically for audit whilst taking in to account the needs of the institution;
- Leading project teams on site at universities to remedy compliance issues and to prepare for UKVI audit;
- Regularly advising senior/executive members of an institution on compliance risk, taking in to account its strategic aims, financial impact, and global reputation;
- Acting for purchasers and sellers of education institutions, undertaking legal due diligence (immigration), advising on material risks and assisting with application or retention of sponsor licence;
- Advising on Embedded College arrangements, adding to the sponsor licence and assisting with ongoing compliance at the university and the embedded college;
- Advising universities on opening campuses abroad, delivering programmes in different jurisdictions and flying faculty;
- Acting for institutions to make representations against BCA results, to challenge UKVI action plans, suspensions and revocation decisions;
- Regularly providing training and workshops for immigration compliance including student sponsor route, skilled worker route, right to work, visitors and EUSS applications;
- Advising on cross practice employment and immigration issues, including cross border working, illegal working, unfair dismissal and discrimination.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Senior Associate, Eversheds Sutherland International LLP
Associate Solicitor, Eversheds Sutherland International LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Eversheds Sutherland International LLP
University of Swansea, LPC
Swansea Law School, Law
University of Plymouth, BSc (Hons) Social Policy with Criminal Justice