Michail is a Consultant in the Banking and Finance group.
He has over 16 years legal experience as an attorney/solicitor. For 6 of these years Michail worked on full-time basis in-house for a major Russian bank. There, he advised extensively on various contentious legal matters involving foreign opponents, and on cross-border financial transactions.
Having subsequently switched to private practice with a major London-based law firm, Michail has broadened his legal expertise with experience in private client and corporate/transactional work, although litigation continued to be a major part of his role at the firm.
Michail has, since 2001, been licensed as an attorney and counselor at law in the State of New York as well as an attorney at law in the State of New Jersey (currently non-practising), he also qualified as an English solicitor in 2004, and in the same year he was registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation as a registered foreign advocate.
- Counselled several prominent entrepreneurs from Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan as well as their family members on a variety of legal matters, including tax planning and compliance, wealth and corporate structuring, immigration, litigation, property acquisitions, banking and finance
- Managed client relationship in connection with a submission to the ECHR by Naftogaz of Ukraine against the United Kingdom due to breaches of its Article 6 rights
- Assisted with defending Naftogaz of Ukraine against a freezing injunction and appointment of an official receiver made by the High Court in London with subsequent applications to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court
- Took part in opposing arbitration proceedings brought under the ICC Rules against Naftogaz of Ukraine in Geneva, Switzerland and in the United Arab Emirates
- Led Russian-speaking part of the legal team advising Naftogaz of Ukraine on procuring a $3.6 billion facility from a large Chinese state-owned bank to finance oil and gas infrastructural projects in Ukraine
- Provided structuring advice and advised on subsequent disposition of a large minority stake in TAAS-Yuryakh Neftegazodobycha LLC, a major privately held Russian oil and gas company in a transaction worth $800 million
- Represented shareholders of Evrofinance Mosnarbank in a transaction for an equity sale worth $600 million to a strategic investor from Kazakhstan under English law
- Participated in the merger of Evrofinance and Mosnarbank, two Russian banks with combined assets of $1 billion, focusing mainly on the UK and larger EU regulatory issues
- Acted for a Russian banker in respect of allegations of fraudulent investing made as part of a whistle-blower action brought in a United States court
- Assisted immigration partner in successfully preventing deportation from the United States of an Iraqi national claiming refugee status due to imminent risk of persecution
Consultant, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Legal Counsel, Gowling WLG (Monaco)
Partner, Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (CIS) LLP (Moscow)
Consultant, Lawrence Graham LLP (London)
Foreign Legal Counsel, Evrofinance Mosnarbank (Moscow)
General Counsel, Confident Care Corporation (Hackensack, New Jersey)
Associate Attorney, Tindall & Foster, P.C. (Austin, Texas)
Law Clerk, Tindall & Foster, P.C. (Houston, Texas)
Russian Academy of Sciences, Junior Research Associate
University of Houston Bauer College of Business, Master of Business Administration
University of Houston Law Center, Doctor of Jurisprudence
American College of Greece, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Articles and Publications
- Regime of the Controlled Foreign Companies in the Tax System of a State. St. Petersburg, 2005
- Illegal Export of Capital and Financial Amnesty. St. Petersburg, 2002