Michael is an Associate in the Dispute Resolution department, specialising in insolvency, recovery and commercial litigation.
He has experience in advising insolvency practitioners, stakeholders, creditors, companies and directors on contentious insolvency including shareholder disputes, and aspects involving distressed corporates and/or individuals. Michael has previously acted for major banks and larger accountancy practices in corporate-led insolvency. He also has experience in acting for high net worth individuals on an array of insolvency related issues.
Michael focuses on discrete insolvency matters, advising insolvency practitioners and individuals on court-related matters including: the prosecution and defence of antecedent transaction claims; claims for misfeasance and wrongful and fraudulent trading; emergency action and injunction work; asset-tracing and protection; and more diverse court applications under the provisions of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Assisted in acting for Liquidators of LLP in seeking recoveries from former members – preparing for appeal of Fennell –v – Halliwells LLP  EWHC 2837.
- Lead fee earner in proceedings for recovery of sums against an Egyptian national, where jurisdiction and Forum Non Conveniens application was commenced by the Defendant. This application failed, as did the appeal heard at the Court of Appeal. Jeremy Stevens –v– Said Tony Hamed  EWHC 1871 (Ch). Hamed v Stevens  EWCA Civ 911 (judgment 26 July 2013)
- Assisted in acting for creditors of a company to have an administrator place the company into liquidation. In the matter of BTR (UK) Ltd sub nom James Patrick Lavin & 7 Ors –v – William Clive Swindell  EWHC 2398 (Ch).
- Acting for liquidators in application for relief under Rule 4.83(1) of the Insolvency Rules 1986, successfully seeking an order to reverse and vary the decision of the parent company liquidators who had rejected a proof of debt for £1.5 million – unreported Spectrum Flair Press Limited (in CVL) –v– (1) Allan Watson Graham & (2) Richard James Philpott [20 Jan. 2012] ChD (Birmingham) – District Judge Gailey.
- Lead fee earner in successfully striking-out winding-up Petition brought incorrectly – The Quality Pub Company Ltd –v – E.ON UK Plc [2 April 2012] ChD (Birmingham) – HHJ David Cooke.
Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Associate, Addleshaw Goddard LLP
Solicitor, Lewis Onions Solicitors