Jon is an Associate in Art Law. He works on a wide range of art-related matters for artists, galleries, dealers, foundations and other public and private institutions.
Jon has specialist knowledge and interest in the area of artists' intellectual property and regularly advises on matters relating to the infringement, protection and exploitation of intellectual property rights, including in relation to artists' moral rights. He also has a particular interest in the intersection of law with disruptive technologies including blockchain, AI and new channels for distributing content.
Alongside his legal career, Jon has extensive experience of working with art and artists as both a broadcaster and a curator, including four years managing a prominent international corporate collection. He is a Trustee of Block 336.
- Advising an artist in a copyright dispute with another artist.
- Advising an art dealer on litigation strategy in relation to a copyright claim against a work of appropriation art.
- Acting for a gallery in litigation relating to an international cyber fraud.
- Acting for a gallery in a contractual dispute with an artist.
- Advising a filmmaker in a dispute with a producer arising out of a breach of contract.
- Advising a 'starchitect' on the infringement of his rights in an iconic bridge design.
- Advising a public collection on the possible acquisition of artworks with copyright and moral rights claims against them.
- Representing a film studio in trade mark litigation in the Court of Appeal and in a successful application to appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Representing a global Fintech consultancy in a £150 million High Court breach of confidence dispute with the former management and employees of its UK subdivision;
- Advising on brand protection for a wide variety of household names.
- Coordinating trade mark oppositions and strategy in eight European jurisdictions for a consumer lending group.
- Advising a leading diamond company on its use of blockchain and Creative Commons licences.
- Defending various corporate clients in claims alleging unlicensed use of fonts, information subscription services, industrial software and indices.
- Advising a film production company on its exploitation of film rights.
- Advising a theatre production company on claims threatened by another theatre production company and an international theatre licensing company relating to a work of parody.
- Marshalling for Arnold J in the Chancery Division of the High Court.
Associate, Mischon de Reya LLP
Associate, Simmons & Simmons LLP
Trainee Solicitor, Simmons & Simmons LLP
University of Cambridge, Law BA (Hons)