Alicia specialises in fraud and civil litigation. Her work covers a variety of commercial disputes, including breach of fiduciary duties, breach of confidence, the diversion of business opportunities, international arbitration, asset tracing and secret profits. She has experience in obtaining and defending worldwide asset freezing injunctions, delivery-up orders and in executing and defending search orders. She has also been instructed as a supervising solicitor in the execution of search orders by other firms.
Alicia has particular experience in complex fraud cases requiring investigation and large scale document review with a view to tracing assets, often through trust entities and involving multi-jurisdictional elements.
Alicia has also acted for a number of clients in bringing and defending contractual and commercial disputes and has successfully negotiated a number of out of court settlements.
Alicia brings business management experience and a knowledge of the financial markets to her role. Prior to becoming a solicitor, Alicia spent a number of years working closely with the investment banking and finance sector, managing a business unit of the international FTSE 250 company, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
- Acting for high profile celebrity couple in obtaining a search order against a former employee alleged to have sold confidential information.
- Acted for Topland and its directors in their defence of two sets of High Court proceedings concerning the central London building, First Avenue House. The proceedings were brought in 2010 by the previous owner, Standard Life, and the Government tenant, the Secretary of State for Justice. Both sets of proceeding were settled on confidential terms without admission of liability with confirmation that the Secretary of State for Justice and Topland will continue to work together to ensure that the building continues to meet the operational needs of the Courts and Tribunal Service.
- Obtaining a freezing order against a property in Tbilisi in anticipation of arbitration proceedings brought in London under the UNICTRAL rules. Representing the client, a Georgian property development company, in the subsequent arbitration process.
- Acting for an individual against his former tax advisers, which included obtaining a freezing order, disclosure order and Norwich Pharmacal relief against a corporate trust entity in the Isle of Man.
- Obtaining Norwich Pharmacal relief in a cross jurisdictional fraud case.
- Acting for American Express in bringing and defending consumer credit claims.
- Defending a client in a civil claim brought on the back of a suspended criminal sentence.
- Acting for a foreign national in securing the return of funds which had been improperly seized under the Proceeds of Crime Act by HMRC.
- Representing a FTSE 100 recruitment agency in information theft and covenant-enforcement cases.
- Defending a client against claims of fraud and conspiracy to defraud by his former employer.
Managing Associate, Mishcon de Reya LLP
Solicitor, Mishcon de Reya
Qualified, Mishcon de Reya
Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC
University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, LLB (Hons)